Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who to do tire change?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 04:02 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who to do tire change?

I'm due for a new rear tire. My bike is an 05' Road King. Is there a substantial savings if I pull the rim off myself versus bringing the bike in and having the entire job done? I was thinking if I pulled the rim myself, then while I'm at it I can check the brake pads, clean the rims, etc. Checked the service manual, seems like a doable job. What do you think?

Old 12-28-2007, 04:10 PM
MidnightRider
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Who to do tire change?

You will save big bucks if you pull the wheel off yourself. I pay $20 to have the tire mounted and balanced. (assuming you have a tire)

Old 12-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealers in my area will mount and balance the tire for free if it is off the bike and you buy the tire from them. I usually change the brake pads when I have the tire off.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Go ahead ,No Guts No Glory!

Old 12-28-2007, 04:21 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I do it myself. If I didn't, I'd definitely pull the wheel myself and have someone else mount the tire. First to save $$. Second to make sure they bike was damaged during the process. Third to make sure it went back together correctly.

As far as brake pads go, check them. Anyone who swaps pads whenhe swap tiresis probably throwing away good pads. Even with the wheel in place, it only takes about 10 minutes to put on a new set of pads.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:22 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're gonna do that, why not just put the new one on the rim yourself, too? It's not that hard if you've got a couple of big screwdrivers, some rimsavers, a c-clamp to break the bead and some soapy water. Everybody around me wants an arm and leg to mount a tire bought elsewhere.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: xxxflhrci

As far as brake pads go, check them. Anyone who swaps pads whenhe swap tiresis probably throwing away good pads. Even with the wheel in place, it only takes about 10 minutes to put on a new set of pads.
I agree, check them but for $25 or $30 dollars it is a good thing to know I have new pads.

My last couple of rear tires were 14,250 and 15,500 and the pads were3/4 gone both times.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:15 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes very easy job you will need a 36mm socket 12 cresent wernch for the other side and dont forget to mark the ecrentric cam before you start you should use a toqrk wrench to reinstall.
check out the lyndall racing pads

Good luck! have a good lift and tie it down i like a floor jack under the tire also to control it after you pull the axel( don't forget antisize for the axel)

Old 12-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Best savings if you order the tire online and do the whole job yourself. Next best if you order it online and take it and the wheel to an indy who will mount the tire for you.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

By all means, take the rim off yourself. Most motorcycle tire places will mount for free or $20 or so if the rim is off. It's also a good opportunity to clean all around the rear wheel area.

Quick Reply: Who to do tire change?