Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fender to hard bag filler for FLTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 PM
BoDawg
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fender to hard bag filler for FLTR

Hi guys. I'm new to the forum, so this may be covered ground. But, I haven't seen any posts on this topic. So here it goes. I'm trying to find something to fill the gap between the fender and the hardbags on my '08 RG. I haven't taken receipt of the Bike yet. I ordered it for delivery in Februrary, when I get back from Japan. After riding my Fatboy like a touring bike for too long, I had to upgrade. I'm keeping the Fatboy though.
I've looked at the filler panels on the HD website. The part description says does not fit FLTR. But, does not say why it doesn't fit. From the looks of the part, I assume that it doesn't fit because of the antenna. You know what they say about assumption.If the antenna is the stopper, I can cut a hole in the filler panel and route the antenna through using a gromet. Does anyone know why it "doesn't fit"? Need to know as ordedring a color matched part that doesn't fit could be an expensive learning experience.
I really like the looks of the filler/fascia on the Street Glide rear fender. This part is not listed on the website. Does anyone know the part number or if it will even fit the RG fender. I would like this solution much better. It provides a much cleaner look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:17 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Default RE: Fender to hard bag filler for FLTR

I recently orderedthis formy RG. The HD name for it is " SG ground effects." It includes6 or 7 different pieces including facia, light, brackets and bolts, etc. Total parts cost was around $170.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:23 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: mhud

I recently orderedthis formy RG. The HD name for it is " SG ground effects." It includes6 or 7 different pieces including facia, light, brackets and bolts, etc. Total parts cost was around $170.
I read a post that said there is a way to install the parts with 3M tape rather than drilling holes in the fender. Did you read that?

I also read that some of the guys are leaving the light out of it so they don't have to mess with the wiring install.

Steve L.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Bo: Here are pics and info on putting a Street Glide rear fender facia/LED on your Road Glide:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1773506/m...tm.htm#1773506

Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 PM
BoDawg
2nd Gear

Thanks guys.That was fast! I love this forum already. I don't know what took me so long to find it. I'm sure this forum will become my most valuable tool for maintenance and upgrades. Did I say I love this forum? Thanks again.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:02 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Welcome to the forum BoDawg and congrats on your new ride. It's going to be a long January I bet.

The reason the HD filler strips that you saw in the catalog do not fit an FLTR is because of the antenna. There is no provision in the filler strip for it. All other bikes that come with a stereo have a tour pack mounted antenna so that's why they fit all touring bikes except the RG.

The Street Glide facia does have a provision for the antenna, as well as detachable mounting hardware. It is pretty simple to install whether you bolt it on or stick it on with double sided 3M adhesive like I did. I installed the light as well. There is an accessory wire tucked under the seat on the left side on your bike that just plugs into the tri-bar light in the facia. It's that simple. Of course the part is only available in Street Glide colors.

The part numbers are:

59739-06DH Ground effects facia in Vivid Black (DH)
69375-06 Fender light assembly (Tri-Bar) There is a newer version that acts as a 3rd brake light. I don't have that part number though.
59790-06 Ground effects support
59818-06 Stud plate (You'll need 2 if you are going to bolt it on). Not required if using adhesive
7499 Flange nut (You'll need 6 id you are going to bolt it on) Not required if using adhesive

I think that covers it. Here is a couple of pics of mine all mounted up.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:04 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Bo: Here are pics and info on putting a Street Glide rear fender facia/LED on your Road Glide:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1773506/m...tm.htm#1773506

Thanks for this post. I did not want to drill holes in my fender. I'm sure the 3M tape is an easier install and will hold just fine.
Steve L.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 323 Likes on 199 Posts

Pingman and I were typing at the same time. That thread he gave you is the one I used to install mine.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The tri-bar LED that is a run and brake light is PN 68358-07, list price 89.95, and replaces the OEM Street Glide LED light that is a running light only.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:19 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

The tri-bar LED that is a run and brake light is PN 68358-07, list price 89.95, and replaces the OEM Street Glide LED light that is a running light only.
http://chicagoharley.com/shop/advanc...;x=25&y=11

Chicago Harley has it for 71.96.

Quick Reply: Fender to hard bag filler for FLTR