Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do different headers matter?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:23 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do different headers matter?

I know there are many different mufflers and different performance levels that come with them. My question is, do the different headers matter as far as performance goes. I'm speaking of the "True dual" headers. I have SuperTrapp mufflers on my 08 SG and the bike is having a BB kit installed. I like the open look of the true dual setup and was thinking of having it done. V&H, Rinehart, which one or does it matter. No need to comment on my mufflers as I like them and won't change them.
Gary

Old 12-27-2007, 08:26 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do different headers matter?

Definitely a difference. The true duals not only give you the cleaner look but reduced heat for the driver on the right side. You also loose some torque. I run the stock headers with slip-ons...if you want the best performance go with a 2 into 1 set up like the dd fat cats or something.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:46 PM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

The factory head pipes are very restrictive due to the fact that they are a 2 into 1 system that hat a tee off the side of the rear cylinder pipe. Thats why 80% comes out the right side and only 20% out of left. Many say that true duels loose torque.I have the same if not more torque than I had with the stock head pipes and the sound is amazing. Now I have stereo Harley sound!

Old 12-27-2007, 09:54 PM
mllkn6
Tourer

I agree with Red E Glide, if I did lose torque I don't notice it and when I added the Thundermax it came back with a boost. Now I have the Harley sound with true duels that I wanted, I figure if I need more torque I'll do motor work, but that sound is priceless.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not downing duals if that's what you're getting at...but the numbers will show you that duals will loose torque...you may not notice it depending on you application but...

Old 12-28-2007, 02:30 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree just about any where you look at performance the TRUE DUALS will reduce lower end torque but not really enough to really notice (Ck out http://www.nightrider.com/)...
If you're looking for performance then you need to look at 2-into-1 systems
If you like looks and even sound and cutting down the rear cylinder heat issue then 2-into-2 (True Duals) will do it... There are many out there V&H - Samsom - Bub they all make a nice True Dual Set-up
The OEM Set-up is a very good proven system that does it job well...

Old 12-28-2007, 02:44 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I definitely could tell that I lost bottom end when I added duals. I added a DFO to enrichen the fuel circuit and made some lollipop baffles to add some back pressure. After some tweaking, it runs pretty darn good.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Milehog
Intermediate

Reality check. The factory headpipes are NOT "very restrictive". The factory could build true duals for less money than the crossover system it uses but the bike would lose power.
I'm not saying true duals are useless. Some people like the looks and many like the sound, lets just keep things in perspective.
my .02

Old 12-28-2007, 06:42 AM
379 GLIDE
Intermediate

think everyone missed the question, or maybe i'm wrong but i think what he was asking is .... is there a difference in which true dual header pipes you use or are all true dual header pipes created equal

Old 12-28-2007, 06:47 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: 379 GLIDE

think everyone missed the question, or maybe i'm wrong but i think what he was asking is .... is there a difference in which true dual header pipes you use or are all true dual header pipes created equal
That's exactly how I read the question too. I don't know the answer except that I have read that the Rineharts will only work with their mufflers. I like the looks of the V&H Dresser Duals.

Jim

Quick Reply: Do different headers matter?