Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

21' FRONT RIM

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Bobzilla
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 21' FRONT RIM

ok i have used the search and I cant find any thing on how much gap you should have between fender and tire I did loosen the fender bolts and pulled the rear of the fender up . I also took a peice of the hard plastic air line just few thousands bigger than 1/4' and taped to tire and ran it through fender it was rubbing a little lets say snug so i loosend the fender bolts back up and ran the tube back in and snuged up bolts I have a avon venom tire 120-70 just dont want to paint fender oh and this is on a 2005 road glide would this be enough of a gap or do i have to elongate rear fender mount holes or get a metzlertire ? last day off from work for a wile would like to be sure front is ok before moving to the rear next days off

Old 12-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts
Default RE: 21' FRONT RIM

I read on the Metzler site where they require 1/4" minimum clearance. Not sure about Avon. I have heard they grow more then Metz. I ruined my fender because I didn't have 1/4". I know have about 5/16" all the way around after going to the Native Custom brackets. I did have to repaint the fender though.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:00 PM
fishafly
Road Master

I used a piece of 3/8" rubber hose i bought at the hardware storeand taped it to the wheel as suggested by FBI. Spun the wheel and no problemos... I did buckle the paint on my stock fender due to not enough clearance... I'd go at least 3/8ths...

Old 12-27-2007, 01:01 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the tube is the way to go thats the way ive seen it done. good luck bro

Old 12-27-2007, 01:02 PM
bowhnter7
Banned

Hogpro told me 3/8" would be great if ya could get it.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:10 PM
Bobzilla
Road Captain

thanks Biggzed should just go with the brackets probably cheaper than painting fender should also just get the metzler anyway the rear is metzler and get the matched set rim came with the avon, tire better inthe long run from what I have been reading ?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:10 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm planning same mod and have already decided I'll dremel the fender bolt holes as requierd/if required, then apply a touch of paint to bare metal exposed by grinding......My research also indicated a minimum of 3/8" all the way around.

Anyone in the market for RKC smoothie chrome laced wheels?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:21 PM
Bobzilla
Road Captain

Thanks Fishafly andRome34 well back out to the Garage do you guys think I can get the extra 1/8' or so if I elongate the holes on the fender mount an 1/8' inch dosnt sound like much but is there enogh meet on the stock bracket to comfortably take some out of it. or what tire are you running seems like the 120/70 21 is the norm or not ?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:40 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I elongated the Rear Heads on my Front fender (about 3/8) and i haven't had a problem

Old 12-27-2007, 01:48 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep......Hey, I know what you are concerned with-there doesn't seem to be much extra metal on the fender tabs, huh?

It's ok....Just elongate the rearmost holes and don't do it all at once......Grind a little and test fit, then grind a little more.....AND don't forget you can grind UPWARDS on front holes to pivot rear of fender higher.....From all I've read the tire seems to hit most often in 10 oclock area when viewed from right side, so grinding front holes upwards will allow rear of fender to pivot higher.

Quick Reply: 21' FRONT RIM