Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serial plug for SERT...??

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:55 AM
sanaga
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serial plug for SERT...??

i just bought a new Toshiba laptop today...i want to play with SERT map..but i found no serial plug available for SERT serial plug...USB only available..anyone experience this..??
then i go to computer shop, buy a cable that convert usb to serial, and give it a try...not work...the SERT program keep telling me that a connection not established/not connected....
what kind connector i should buy..??
it frustrated me, coz i buy a new laptopso i canset my sert easily....and this dont work...wowww..
please any one can help me..???

thanks bro

Old 12-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: serial plug for SERT...??

You will have to buy a USB-Serial converter. Pretty common item at Best Buy, etc.

Old 12-27-2007, 09:14 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Pretty common yes but 90% don't work. Most people have good luck with the Belkin brand adapter. I found mine at one of the office supply stores. Circuit city here quite selling adapters because most don't work. Serial ports on laptops is old tech. Thats why HD uses it

Old 12-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anything that connects to a USB port has to have a "driver" so that the operating system can recognize with it is. Some of the serial to USB cables available provide a disk with a serial port driver, this lets the computer know that the USB port is communicating to an older style RS232 serial device. I suspect the newer SERTs have a driver on the CD, but getting it installed so you can use one of the little plug adapters is not likely to work. Online stores like Tiger Direct, or NewEgg have cords that range in length from 12 to 36 inches that also provide a CD with a serial port driver to make the cord work. This cords usually cost between $20 and $30. A google search on serial to usb converter with give you plenty of options to order one online. (I do computer tech support for a living...this has been an issue for me for serveral year, serial communications is not necessarily an "old style" of computer communications, lots of new stuff like network switches and routers still use it, but laptop makers have chosen to stop supporting this interface probably mostly to save some space on the ever shrinking "real estate" available on the sides and back of new models.)

Old 12-27-2007, 09:57 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couldn't find the cables at tiger or newegg anymore, but here are a couple links;
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...&sku=26886,
and http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=309975

Old 12-27-2007, 10:17 AM
rockdoc
Tourer

I ran into a similar problem a while back trying to connect my boat's GPS unit to my computer. The software I was using recommended a KEYSPAN USB to Serial cable because they tend to be more reliable than most other brands. It worked like a charm!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:18 AM
sanaga
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Windup08

Anything that connects to a USB port has to have a "driver" so that the operating system can recognize with it is. Some of the serial to USB cables available provide a disk with a serial port driver, this lets the computer know that the USB port is communicating to an older style RS232 serial device. I suspect the newer SERTs have a driver on the CD, but getting it installed so you can use one of the little plug adapters is not likely to work. Online stores like Tiger Direct, or NewEgg have cords that range in length from 12 to 36 inches that also provide a CD with a serial port driver to make the cord work. This cords usually cost between $20 and $30. A google search on serial to usb converter with give you plenty of options to order one online. (I do computer tech support for a living...this has been an issue for me for serveral year, serial communications is not necessarily an "old style" of computer communications, lots of new stuff like network switches and routers still use it, but laptop makers have chosen to stop supporting this interface probably mostly to save some space on the ever shrinking "real estate" available on the sides and back of new models.)
so i have to buy a new serial to usb plug included WITH a disk that contain driver..?? i have one but no disk and cant work....it kinda hard tofind a connector with a disk included on my city...i will try tommorow...

Old 12-27-2007, 10:20 AM
sanaga
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Windup08

Couldn't find the cables at tiger or newegg anymore, but here are a couple links;
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...&sku=26886,
and http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...ct_code=309975

thats the model of cablei have bro...but cant work....[:@]

Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 AM
adlerx
Road Captain

When I went to buy a new laptop to use with my SERT last month I found that they only offered Vista and no serial ports on all the new ones in the stores. Started looking online and found the ebayfujitsu store where I picked up a brand new(not refurb)2.1Ghz core2duo for less than 400 shipped! It had XP and a serial port. Also turns out to be a top notch computer, top quality and the customer service was by far the best ebay experience I have ever had and I have done a lot of business there for almost ten years! It was a little stripped down with only 60gb HDD and 512 memory and no DVD burner, just DVD player/CD Burner.60GB/HDD is fine for me and I bumped the dual channel memory up to 2 gb for less than $40. I find myself using it a lot more than I ever imagined, WI-FI has got to be the coolest thing to come along in a long time! One of the best buys I have made in a long time and has the right software and connection for the SERT! Check em out if you're looking for a laptop for your bike!

Old 12-27-2007, 10:46 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought a new mouse for my desk top, at Walmart. At the end of the cord there was a 1 1/2" longadapter, so it could be plugged into the old serial port. It just pulls off and the cord is set up for a USB connection. It might be just as cheap to buy the mouse (Logitech) and then have the adapter for the SERT.
Tom

Quick Reply: serial plug for SERT...??