Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy Hauler for Tourer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 07:41 PM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Toy Hauler for Tourer?

After 8 years of camping in a "pop-up" Jayco trailer, the family is looking forward to upgrading to something a bit more comfortable.
It seems that so often we end up camping in areas that also look like they'd offer some great motorcycling. Could wake up a bit early, go tour and be back for breakfast!

Which leads to my question...

Has anyone looked into "Toy-Hauler" campers (with a drop-down ramp) that would be suitable for a family of four + one street glide?

My 1500 1/2 ton Yukon has got a comfortable upper-end hauling limit of about 6000#s (or at least thats what I'd be comfortable hauling). The bike is about 775#s which leaves me 5000#s or so of camper. Ideally, I'd like to find something with a private master suite and something comfortable for the kids. Anyone pursued something like this? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Old 12-25-2007, 07:45 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts
Default RE: Toy Hauler for Tourer?

Friend of mine bought a Raptor 5th wheeler. He has a 1 ton Ford to pull it with. He puts his iron head sportster in the garage section. It is pretty fancy, but probably bigger and more expensive than you care to do. And a half ton truck would be too small for it.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:52 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've looked around at these too. I'm afraid you are going to have a difficult time finding one as you described within the weight your 1/2 ton will tow. I saw a Jayco with the weight you need but did not have a private master. You can check on line with Jayco, Forest River, Keystone and Fleetwood, some of the larger manufactures. Good luck!

Old 12-25-2007, 07:54 PM
eglidetrike1
Road Master

I saw quite a few nice ones while I was in Sturgus this year, and they where not cheap either.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:22 PM
kart11
Tourer

There is a dealer close to me that sells these http://www.martinsburgrv.com/rv/1202

Old 12-25-2007, 08:26 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

not for a half ton truck, it will eat you up in gas or diesel

Old 12-25-2007, 08:36 PM
MrHd1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pulled a Tailgator 21 footer with a half ton ford f-150 fora couple of years. Generally got 8-10 pulling and twice as good without. You won't find one with a private master that you could reasonably pull with a half ton. Saw a rig down in FL last year with a deck on the front and pretty nice living quarters for a reasonable price (about 15K) Thefolks that had it were spending the winter in FL and were hauling two Heritage softails. They were running a 3/4 ton diesel truck however. If you do a Google search on Toy Haulers you will find quite a few. They come in all sizes and floorplans and quiteaprice range.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:42 PM
Ron H
Cruiser

A half-ton truck isn't going to cut it for a fifth wheel toyhauler. The EnduraMax that kart11 suggests is a luxury fifth wheel toyhauler and a great unit. But their tag units (non-fifth wheel) are 15K GVWR and 9900# empty, so that's going to be too heavy for your Yukon. The fifth wheel units are 18K GVWR. I haven't seen too many fifth wheels being pulled by half-tons -- usually 3/4 or 1-tons.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Getyurmotorunnin
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a little toyhauler called a Hobi that Im gonna buy as soon as our bike is paid for. It can be pulled easly with a 1/2 tone pickup.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:52 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That 1/2 ton is going to limit you big time or it's going to wear out quickly. Just not made to haul a trailer the size your looking for.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler for Tourer?