Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE AC on 08 Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 12:21 AM
Bwana77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE AC on 08 Ultra?

Ok, so on my new 08 Ultra, I plan on doing a HD remap to make the fuel mixture richer. I am sticking with the stock pipes for now. My question for you guys is, is the SE AC worth it in my situation? Does it do anything to help reduce the heat or improve performance with the stock pipes?

Thanks!

Old 12-25-2007, 12:33 AM
vettedog72
Tourer
Default RE: SE AC on 08 Ultra?

Its like taking the ac off a 389 gto. It makes a little noise and makes you feel good. At least that is what it did to my '07.

Old 12-25-2007, 04:23 AM
Daytrip
Novice

On another HD forum a fellow said he had purchased the SE stage one parts separately (minus the filter) for around $70 and then added the K&N filter for about $40. I plan to do that myself. I'm still debating on SERF or TFI. Don't want to spend the change on SERT and Dyno. The stock pipes stink to me--a cross between a sewing machine and a GoldWing. I went with SE slipons--older version. They're pretty sweet--not too loud but they sound like a Harley.

Alan

Old 12-25-2007, 05:46 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do yourself a favor. Get the whole stage 1 upgrade at once. The K&N is not out for the 08 yet and the download will do basically nothing. For an 08 i think your only choice right now is the SERT and the dyno is a must in my book and well worth the money or you can wait on the other companies to come out with their products but doing just an a/c will only make it run more on the lean side. I did the SERT, Rush 2.0, SE A/C and Dyno and i am very happy with the results. Only thing i am going to change out is the A/C filter when K&N comes out. I have a HD-0800 filter but it will not fit the 08 without being modified and i don't have the time right now.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:38 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts

ORIGINAL: Daytrip

On another HD forum a fellow said he had purchased the SE stage one parts separately (minus the filter) for around $70 and then added the K&N filter for about $40. I plan to do that myself. I'm still debating on SERF or TFI. Don't want to spend the change on SERT and Dyno. The stock pipes stink to me--a cross between a sewing machine and a GoldWing. I went with SE slipons--older version. They're pretty sweet--not too loud but they sound like a Harley.

Alan
Alan, what do you mean older version SEslip-ons? I wish I could hear the new SE slips. I don't want anything to loud, stockers are bit to quite though.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Bwana77

Ok, so on my new 08 Ultra, I plan on doing a HD remap to make the fuel mixture richer. I am sticking with the stock pipes for now. My question for you guys is, is the SE AC worth it in my situation? Does it do anything to help reduce the heat or improve performance with the stock pipes?

Thanks!
I think to do any good, if you open the intake ya need toopen the exhaust.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

But on the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to do it piece by piece if you'd rather not spend all the money at first. You will definitely see a power increase with the SE Stage 1 Intake and Stage 1 Download - I have done this on a previous bike and it made a worthwhile difference. As money permitted down the road, I added slip-on mufflers to complete the upgrade and gain some additional power. I even went as far as to add a V&H FuelPak on top of the download, but I did not see an additional power increase, so I took it off and just kept the download with very satisfactory results.

My current ride is an '08 Road Glide which has the 103 Big Bore Kit, SE Stage 1 Intake, and stock pipes. The power improvement from the additional displacement and intake are substantial, and I'm not currently planning on putting aftermarket mufflers on it. I suppose that to increase the air volume going through the engine I will need to replace the stock mufflers, but I don't want anything louder, so my theory is that the stock pipes are as good as it's going to get.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:45 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Pastor John

But on the other hand, it wouldn't hurt to do it piece by piece if you'd rather not spend all the money at first. You will definitely see a power increase with the SE Stage 1 Intake and Stage 1 Download - I have done this on a previous bike and it made a worthwhile difference. As money permitted down the road, I added slip-on mufflers to complete the upgrade and gain some additional power. I even went as far as to add a V&H FuelPak on top of the download, but I did not see an additional power increase, so I took it off and just kept the download with very satisfactory results.

My current ride is an '08 Road Glide which has the 103 Big Bore Kit, SE Stage 1 Intake, and stock pipes. The power improvement from the additional displacement and intake are substantial, and I'm not currently planning on putting aftermarket mufflers on it. I suppose that to increase the air volume going through the engine I will need to replace the stock mufflers, but I don't want anything louder, so my theory is that the stock pipes are as good as it's going to get.
How about the SE slip-ons Pastor, I haven't heard the new ones but they can't be to much louder than stock??

Old 12-25-2007, 07:19 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

From what I understand the current SE-Slip ons are just a bit more quiet in comparison to the older units of the same design. As far as EPA, orCARBrequirements go, they are well within compliance to make them 50 state legal.....the SE slip ons from a few years back did have more sound and I would think better flow characteristics, but were not meeting the newer CARB regulations. I'm not 100% sure about the regs in Ca.....I am from New Jersey, and there are no specific exhaust requirements pertaining to Db levels.....only emissions.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Bwana77
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Pastor John

Pastor John, if you installed he Stage 1 Download for the stock pipes and later upgraded to new slip ons like the SE Touring, would you need to do another download?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: SE AC on 08 Ultra?