Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE AC on 08 Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: SE AC on 08 Ultra?

I had the SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers (#64985) on my '07 Road King and really liked them. They had a little more sound than the stock mufflers, but it was in the deeper registers and gave a very satisfying rumble. What I really liked about them was the style (I was going for a 50's retro style, and the fishtail endcaps really looked good). There was not a specific HD download that attempted to fine-tune those specificmufflers and intake, just the generic Stage 1 Download. That's a weakness of the download - it probably loses some potential power gain because it's not tuneable like the V&H FuelPak, PCIII, SERT, or other ECM management tool - but it's cheaper (about $175 including labor) and avoids any discussions about warranty issues.

I previously had the V&H Oval Slip-Ons and they were fantastic, but a little too loud for my taste. I really enjoyed them around town, but on a tour the loudness was tiring. Matched to the FuelPak, they gave very significant seat-of-the-pants power increase, and really opened up the 96 inch motor.

My theory is that if you want to maximize power with a Stage 1 setup, you'll have to live with loud pipes, because the name of the game is to move more air and fuel through the system (the SE Intake to suck it in, and the more open pipes to evacuate the exhaust quickly). I'm no expert at all, but my experience with the stock mufflers and the SE's left me with the impression that they weren't really helping with the movement of the air/fuel mixture and were the bottleneck in the system.

Old 12-25-2007, 10:43 AM
Bwana77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much for your advice Pastor John! And Merry Christmas!

Old 12-25-2007, 12:04 PM
BIGBADCANE
Advanced

Get some Rush Slip ons with a 2" or smaller baffle and you won't ave to add thefilter or the download. When the filter becomes avaialble, you can buy it and then get the download or a Power Commander. The Rush pipes sound greatand won't make you deaf. You can buy them at easternperformance.com for $295 delivered to the door.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Bwana77
Intermediate

Will the Rush slip ons help in reducing heat? The dealer stated that the download will help with the heat since it's making the mixture richer.

I'm curious about Fuelmoto's Rush, PCIII package. My dealer said that their techs hate dealing with PCIII's. I guess they feel that the SERT is easier to work with.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:14 PM
2ForTheRoad
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bwana77

Ok, so on my new 08 Ultra, I plan on doing a HD remap to make the fuel mixture richer. I am sticking with the stock pipes for now. My question for you guys is, is the SE AC worth it in my situation? Does it do anything to help reduce the heat or improve performance with the stock pipes?

Thanks!
Depends on what you want. I personally like the sound of my stock pipes (I know, the horror of it all). My bike is at Fuel Moto while they work on the upcoming PCIII. I've already changed the air cleaner to a SE and had every intention of changing the pipes also. In talking to Jamie he asked me why I wanted to change the pipes. I told him to gain the benefit of the air cleaner I had to. He said you surely can gain more by changing the pipe, but the PCIII can be tuned to get you more benefit with my new air cleaner and keep the stock pipes. Sooooooo, if you are looking to gain sound and max performance, I'm sure pipes are the answer, but don't feel you have to depending on what results you want.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:27 PM
Bwana77
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: 2ForTheRoad

ORIGINAL: Bwana77

Ok, so on my new 08 Ultra, I plan on doing a HD remap to make the fuel mixture richer. I am sticking with the stock pipes for now. My question for you guys is, is the SE AC worth it in my situation? Does it do anything to help reduce the heat or improve performance with the stock pipes?

Thanks!
Depends on what you want. I personally like the sound of my stock pipes (I know, the horror of it all). My bike is at Fuel Moto while they work on the upcoming PCIII. I've already changed the air cleaner to a SE and had every intention of changing the pipes also. In talking to Jamie he asked me why I wanted to change the pipes. I told him to gain the benefit of the air cleaner I had to. He said you surely can gain more by changing the pipe, but the PCIII can be tuned to get you more benefit with my new air cleaner and keep the stock pipes. Sooooooo, if you are looking to gain sound and max performance, I'm sure pipes are the answer, but don't feel you have to depending on what results you want.
Did Jamie say when the PCIII was going to be ready? It really doesn't matter that much since my bike won't be built till the end of January. Did you get the new download when you did the air cleaner?

Old 12-26-2007, 08:37 AM
2ForTheRoad
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did Jamie say when the PCIII was going to be ready? It really doesn't matter that much since my bike won't be built till the end of January. Did you get the new download when you did the air cleaner?
They're working out some issues with the new PCIII, I'm thinking we'll be well into January before it's released to the public. Jamie is testing a early release model on my bike. I should know more soon and will post when I hear from Jamie. I didn't do the download, I figured Jamie could set me up when he did the PCIII.