Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Head Bearing Lube

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 08:11 PM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Steering Head Bearing Lube

My '07 Roadking Cust. is coming up on 10K mi. srvc. I'm planning on doing it myself. The only item I'm not sure about is the steering head bearing lube. Is there a zerk fitting I'm not finding? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:27 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Steering Head Bearing Lube

Yes, Zerk fitting is on left side of neck, 2/3rd's way down the neck. Look way in there, it's almost unnoticable.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:30 PM
unclekunkle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there is a zerk on the neck pointing at about 10 o'clock away from you as you sit on the seat. You gotta have a flex tube on your lube gun and if the tips not too long you can squeeze it into place when the steering is full right. The procedure is to fill the empty void, (bearings were hand greased at installation) till grease oozses outa the top and bottom. This obviously takes alot of grease (about a half tube)... the first time, but after that, a little sqirt 'll do. If you can't get the access the way I'm describing, then you'll have to remove the headlamp ring, the top decorative trim piece, pop the round bezel from the fork lock key area to expose 2 screws, that'll allow the removal of more chrome trim...exposing the zerk in yer face.

Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2007, 08:49 PM
stevepacman
Road Master

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the speedy reply. I found the fitting. Merry Christmas Ya'll!

Old 12-24-2007, 09:09 PM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 177 Likes on 89 Posts

I replaced the zerk with a 90 degree one. I had to buy a whole box of assorted zerks to find the right one but it was worth the $5.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:57 PM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stevepacman I would also recomend using a good quality high temp grease. One of the HD techs used regular grease in mine and living in Las Vegas you can imagine the mess that I had during the summer months.

Old 12-25-2007, 02:32 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went to the dealer and bought a tube of the greast that they recommend for that application. I also swapped out the zerk for a 90 degree one........made things a lot easier.

Took a good 1/2-2/3 of a tube of grease.............but now I know it's good to go and next time will only take a couple of pumps.

Steve

Old 12-25-2007, 02:36 PM
unclekunkle
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fishcop

Stevepacman I would also recomend using a good quality high temp grease. One of the HD techs used regular grease in mine and living in Las Vegas you can imagine the mess that I had during the summer months.
I forgot to mention that the grease that is recommended is basicly a waterproof grease... like you would use to grease the wheel bearings on a boat trailer

Old 12-26-2007, 08:31 AM
stevepacman
Road Master

Thanks again everyone! Next I have to consider buying a lift that will fit under my lowered RK. The alum. lift from Sears looks like it will be really close. Also wondering about how easy it will be to lift it while allowing access to the pri. chaincase drain plug?

Old 12-26-2007, 10:27 AM
unclekunkle
Tourer

ORIGINAL: stevepacman
Thanks again everyone! Next I have to consider buying a lift that will fit under my lowered RK. The alum. lift from Sears looks like it will be really close. Also wondering about how easy it will be to lift it while allowing access to the pri. chaincase drain plug?
stevepacman
Check this link on my review of the J & S ... My Daughters RKC is lowered and I use it on hers... just gotta tip the bike a smidgin when going under. One of the features is its ability to drain 3 fluids at once

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1301392/tm.htm

Quick Reply: Steering Head Bearing Lube