Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Head Bearing Lube

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts
Default RE: Steering Head Bearing Lube

ORIGINAL: unclekunkle
I forgot to mention that the grease that is recommended is basicly a waterproof grease... like you would use to grease the wheel bearings on a boat trailer
Ummmmm..............

Isn't all grease waterproof?

Old 12-26-2007, 02:18 PM
unclekunkle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Beemervet
Ummmmm..............
Isn't all grease waterproof?
Clicky linkey to read "product description"

http://www.crcindustries.com/marine/...SL3120&S=N

HD manual calls for this type of grease in the assembly of the neck, swingarm bushings etc... making those critical areas of thebike less susceptable to the adverse affects of foul weather conditions.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:10 AM
The Old Man
Road Master

NO!!.....some grease is madeof or withlithiam (sp). When it mixs with water it turns to a soap and washes itself out of the bearing or makes it not lube correctly.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

I am confused about this issue. Yesterday I took my RG in for the 1000 mile service. I asked about the neck bearing lube. The service manager said they lube them at 10K. As one other member posted, "Took a good 1/2-2/3 of a tube of grease.............but now I know it's good to go and next time will only take a couple of pumps."

Where is the logic behind that? Where is the grease going that you would have to add more later? The SM also told me they dodn't fill them all the way up as they tend to drip grease out when hot sometimes. T.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:07 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I tend to agree with Ultrasweet. I'm thinking that there are only 2 bearings in the head-tube. Although the fact that only one zerk fitting is installed makes me wonder how the grease is sent to both brgs. I'm no engineer, but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to fill the entire steering head. Not only is it a waste, but the lube would eventually get semi-tacky and stiff over time. Any owners out there have an OEM Service Manual that can shed some light on the subject and take out the guess-work?

Old 12-27-2007, 10:09 AM
dbird
Cruiser

I don't fill my mine with grease just a couple of pumps at service.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Rocket Jockey
Tourer

Come on HD wrench gurus....what is the correct answer. I need to grease my neck bearings and want to do it the right way WITHOUT grease dripping on my paint when it gets hot.

The reason it takes 1/2 to 2/3 of a tube is that they install grease packed bearings from the factory. The bearings are at the top and bottom of the neck leaving a large void between them. Short of pulling the front end apart to hand pack the bearings, you would have to load the entire void with grease until it pushes its way into the bearings. Putting one or two pumps into the neck won't do anything.

So is there a grease that will do the job and not drip when it gets hot outside? What is it?

Off to the shop for a day of therapy....
RJ

Old 12-27-2007, 10:54 AM
notorious
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: stevepacman

My '07 Roadking Cust. is coming up on 10K mi. srvc. I'm planning on doing it myself. The only item I'm not sure about is the steering head bearing lube. Is there a zerk fitting I'm not finding? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve,

Yes, the fitting is on the left side of the steering head on most models.Replace the present grease fitting with a 90* for simplisity and ease of service, use a heavy viscosity high duty cyclesticky grease to prevent the likelyhood of it heating up and seeping onto your fender. NAPA has their (RED STICKY GREASE) which is what I use in all applications. It will take nearly a whole tube if the neck hasn't been serviced. You will have some weep, use a Q-tip to clean the excess regulary.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:27 AM
ricaroo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what the thread size of the Zerk fitting for the neck bearing grease&nbsp\\;is so I can change it out to a 90 degree fitting
/
&nbsp\\;
Thanks

Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

90 degree grease gun nozzle:
http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/the418.html
I read on this forum that someone suggested wrapping the lower space between the neck and fork with a light rope.
Pump grease until it comes out the top.
&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Steering Head Bearing Lube