Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI M-1170 service bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2020, 10:57 AM
Zerk
Banned
Received 831 Likes on 657 Posts

Old thread I know. Anyone know what the difference is? I can't blow up the pics big enough to read. I have 07 service manual. Nothing special, lock don't sprockets and tighten. Never came loose, but primary bearing failing every 25k miles.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:28 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
Old thread I know. Anyone know what the difference is? I can't blow up the pics big enough to read. I have 07 service manual. Nothing special, lock don't sprockets and tighten. Never came loose, but primary bearing failing every 25k miles.
Go by your 07 manual. The bulletin was for the older comp nuts coming loose. Your 07 has a different bolt on it. Your IPB only lasts 25k? How does the race look when changing it out? Is the retaining ring oriented appropriately to allow oil through the feed hole? Stock auto tensioner? That could be tightening and causing the issue. Any witness marks on the inside of the primary where it would appear the basket has made contact with the rear of the inner primary?

Old 04-27-2020, 05:05 PM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by dawg
Go by your 07 manual. The bulletin was for the older comp nuts coming loose. Your 07 has a different bolt on it. Your IPB only lasts 25k? How does the race look when changing it out? Is the retaining ring oriented appropriately to allow oil through the feed hole? Stock auto tensioner? That could be tightening and causing the issue. Any witness marks on the inside of the primary where it would appear the basket has made contact with the rear of the inner primary?
I didn't notice any witness marks the two times I took it off. The inner race was cracked last time, not sure if cracked being pulled. I didn't look on the first one. Last time I went with the baker one piece piece bearing.

Old 04-27-2020, 05:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

If you have the stock auto tensioner, specifically the earlier ones, it could be ratcheting up and ultimately stressing the inner primary bearing

Old 04-28-2020, 06:58 AM
Zerk
Banned

Originally Posted by dawg
If you have the stock auto tensioner, specifically the earlier ones, it could be ratcheting up and ultimately stressing the inner primary bearing
I replaced it with Hayden?, still failed. I don;t see how the stock design would ever decrease tension. Harley probably should have gone with an aftermarket design, but didn't want to pay for it.