Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CARB OR FUEL INJECTED

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007 | 04:26 PM
pop1
|
Road Warrior
Default CARB OR FUEL INJECTED

I know carbs are now a thing of the past. But I personally loved my carburetors. I also liked the price of tuning them better as well. I had my fatboy rejetted once for $21.00. It just seems like with the fuelies anytime you want to change something like engine work or pipes it cost an arm and a leg to get it to run right. I also think the Carbs sounded better.... more Harley like. Then I again I do like how the fuelie fires right up. But again pulling the choke **** wasn't that big a deal. Your opinions?

Old 12-23-2007 | 04:32 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Default RE: CARB OR FUEL INJECTED

I've got one of each, but I love my fuel injection. Even with the cantankerous nature of the magneti marreli system, its ease of maintenance is worth it.

Old 12-23-2007 | 04:33 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

I went back to a carb bike with my 05 road king custom and love it, only took me about a hour and 30 bucks to get it dialed in and it runs great. Carbs sound more like a harley than efi bikes too. EFI bikes run great but I just got tired of all the gizmos and money it takes to get one right. If you do it right, sert,pc111 tmax, and the dyno tune to get it perfect your looking at 700-1000.00 bucks to get the same results a carb has for under a hundred. I think my carb gets better mpg too.

Old 12-23-2007 | 04:44 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

Prefer carb for sound, maintenance, mpg. I have no troubles starting or warming up.

Also, there seems to be an endless number of threads here about the EFI, EPA and running too hot....don't need that! [sm=forgetit.gif]

Old 12-23-2007 | 04:47 PM
Badfinger
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Carbs sound more like a harley than efi bikes too. EFI bikes run great but I just got tired of all the gizmos and money it takes to get one right. If you do it right, sert,pc111 tmax, and the dyno tune to get it perfect your looking at 700-1000.00 bucks to get the same results a carb has for under a hundred. I think my carb gets better mpg too.
Why would they sound different the air intake is the same isn't it?

Better gas mileage on a carb? I don't think so.

How about those cold morning starts with a carb?

Ride well,

Jim

Old 12-23-2007 | 04:50 PM
harleybodei
Road Master

I prefer Carb.
If anything happens and I am stranded I would have a fair shot at getting it going, wouldn't with a EFI system.
My 2 cents.

Old 12-23-2007 | 04:56 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Badfinger

Why would they sound different the air intake is the same isn't it?

Better gas mileage on a carb? I don't think so.

How about those cold morning starts with a carb?

Ride well,

Jim
Dunno why they sound different....maybe because with a carb it can idle down lower?

Everyone rides differently, but I consistently get an average of 44-46 mpg, and if all hiway- up between 52-53 (and that is two up).

Never ride below 35 degrees or so, just pull out the choke, twist the throttle once, and start her up...no problems.

Old 12-23-2007 | 04:57 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

I went back to a carb bike with my 05 road king custom and love it, only took me about a hour and 30 bucks to get it dialed in and it runs great. Carbs sound more like a harley than efi bikes too. EFI bikes run great but I just got tired of all the gizmos and money it takes to get one right. If you do it right, sert,pc111 tmax, and the dyno tune to get it perfect your looking at 700-1000.00 bucks to get the same results a carb has for under a hundred. I think my carb gets better mpg too.
Find a good tuner, and the cost is minimal. I paid $360.00 for my PCIIIr and the shop dialed it in for free. Bike runs like a dream and almost 40mpg. I had problems with the hot/cold idle when the bike was stock, so I thought about going back to a carb. By the time i bought a carb and all the other parts to make the swap I'd have paid that $700- $1,000.00 you spoke of.

Old 12-23-2007 | 04:58 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

If I had the option to order my new RG with a carb that's what I would do. So much easier and cheaper to rejet a carb than retune an EFI system. Also simple to maintain and repair. My '05 Roadster is carbed and I really don't mind the extra few minutes it takes to warm up. Be nice to still have a choice.

Old 12-23-2007 | 05:15 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

I like the EFI once you have the sert or pc3fitted .You can change your tuningwith the laptop fast clean and easy.Starts first go hot or cold high or low.

Quick Reply: CARB OR FUEL INJECTED