Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:59 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ear Plugs

Lucky for me I got on to wearing plugs within a year of getting a bike. Though it can be a bit strange at first, stick with it and before you know it you won't be able to ride without them. I know I can't. Guarantee you'll be surprised how much better you feel at the end of a 500 mile day (or a 200 mile day for that matter...)
Aerostitch sells a sample pack with a dozen different plugs to try. See which one fits you best, then buy em by the case.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...t-p-16502.html

Old 12-26-2007, 03:29 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: zenwhipper

So... this begs the question... do ear plugs, hinder listening to the stereo in a RG or SG? I have always ridden with ear plugs. I'm thinking about buying a SG or RG and I really like the idea of the stereo and music to listen to on down the road. I'll continue to wear ear plugs - so does one just crank up the tunes to hear 'em? Or is there some other creative solution like ... speakers in the helmet??

Grazi
Scott
I have a RG and wear full face helmet. At highway speeds, I can't hear the stereo UNLESS I'm wearing ear plugs. Without them, the wind noise drowns out the tunes. Volume isn't loud but it's enough to enjoy and not muffled or anything.

My thinking is that helmet speakers, ear-buds etc, are actually more harmful to the ears cause you have to crank the volume up so high in order to drown out the wind noise.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:39 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you can make your own silicone set, similar to what they do at bike and gun shows with a kit for @ $6. check out http://www.natchezss.com/index.cfmand search for molded ear plugs. they come in multiple colors. You mix the two putty-like parts and press them in. let them sit for @ 10-15 minutes, then pull them out and let them cure. i always wear them when I am using my half helmet in the summer. dont' have tinitis as much as a "bubble" sensationin my ear after riding. feels like I have to "pop" my ear like I've gone up or down in altitude quickly. takes a few days to balance out. these seem to eliminate or lessen the severity very well.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:54 PM
IronLegend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm an 'ole fart' myself and have a constant low pitched ringing in the ears which I've kinda gotten use to now. I figure it manifested itself years ago when I started driving transport and the older trucks didn't have much in the way of sound deadening materialslike they do now along with the screaming of theold318 Detroit Diesel engines.

I still don't wear hearing protection if I'm just riding around town but if I'm outside the city limits I use the foam type earplugs that I get free from work...they may not be the best but to me they are better than none at all.

Tom

Old 12-26-2007, 04:43 PM
swipter
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Thundercloud

I use these they work great and are very comfortable because you don't really have to push them into your ear canal.

http://www.earplugsonline.com/index.html
Those are the best and they do last for years. I have had the same ones since 2002. Now getting replaced.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:01 PM
backnasaddle
Tourer

I've had it in both ears for many years and I'm not that old! I grab a handful of the cheap one's we have at work from time to time. I tend to misplace them, so I haven't gone with the custom made variety. Just be careful. Those of us who have to wear them need to be that much more aware of our surroundings. Ride safe.

Old 12-28-2007, 01:30 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,917 Likes on 1,430 Posts

I bought a hundred pack of the foam ones at Walgreens recently. I put some in my jacket pockets, tourpack, etc. You never know when you might need them.

When shooting, I use the foam plugs and ear muffs. Even when shooting 22's at a match. When I shoot my 14" .223 Contender with both plugs and muffs, I still get ringing. I think it's bone conduction. That sucker is loud. I'll just use the muffs if I'm just shooting 22in the back yard or capping a racoon or using a grinder, tuning the Sportster, etc. I, too, am very careful to protect my hearing.

Oh, I had to keep earplugs in the glovebox of my MR2 so my wife would ride in it. And she has open drag pipes on her Sporty. After I put a bigger muffler on and you could actually hear the radio, it wasn't so bad.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:41 PM
singlepin
Cruiser

I use the cheap ones from Walmart and they work well with thehelmet speakerson my UC. Turn up the radio a little and I hear it andthe wife on the intercom just fine

Old 12-28-2007, 11:59 PM
Lewd_Dude
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I am going to look into getting some as well.....

Old 12-29-2007, 06:20 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$20.50 shipped for a box of 200 soft foam plugs on eBay. They work great. Same ones i use at work i just wanted my own box. I don't want to keep up with a custom pair. I like to just pitch'em when I'm done.

Quick Reply: Ear Plugs