Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Shaw_2112
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ear Plugs

I use the cheap orange foam ones. Work just fine for me.....

Old 12-23-2007, 05:48 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on the cheap foam ones cause you can pitch a few pair a day and they will still be cheap. Now if i can get work to get another color besides NEON YELLOW.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

I use these they work great and are very comfortable because you don't really have to push them into your ear canal.

http://www.earplugsonline.com/index.html

Old 12-23-2007, 06:17 PM
Sodiee
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MACK'S EAR PLUGS! They are made of wax(I think) and they mold right in you ear.They fit better than my $90.00 custom pair.You can buy them at Wal-Mart.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Merlin
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The ones I use I purchased at my local gun shop.
They are reuseable and came with a nice little caes for my pocket/keychain.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:23 PM
pab
Tourer

Check out a music store in your area that sells guitars, drums, etc. They maycarry a custom fit type plug that muscians wear while performing. They hear what they need to hear, but the plugs block out the blast that hurtsthe ear. Very available here in the Nashville area, and if you don't have such a shop in your area, check out Fork's Drum Closet on the net. They got them.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Gateslinger
Intermediate

I have a of pair of custom earplugs that I use for shooting and riding. The plugs are custom molded to my ears and are low-profile which fit nicely in the helmet. I think I paid about $35 for the pair, well worth the money. I got mine at one of the regional CAS matches, however I've seen a table offering them at a local gunshow last month. I'd check with a local audiologist, some offer that service is well.

Once you get a pair, you'd never go back to the orange soft plugs. The fit is comfortable and you can wear them for hours without your ears aching.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:39 PM
slankard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use AOSafety reuseable corded ear plugs. I also have a hearing loss (20 years in the coal mines and 10 years in construction). Most lumberyards have them. The cord makes them harder to drop or lose.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:59 PM
Jager
Cruiser

I just use the basic E-A-R brand (actually manufactured by Aearo) foam ear plugs that are so common. Bought a big box of 200-pair a few years back. I keep spares in the pockets of all my different riding gear. One pair is usually good for anywhere from half-dozen to a dozen insertions before it loses its elasticity.

More important than the brand or style is that you:

1) get a pair with a high db-reduction number
2) make sure they've been inserted properly (which means deep into the ear canal - I've seen lots of riders with them hardly in their ears).

Hearing loss is permanent - which is why ear plugs are so important. The first hundred thousand miles or so I did on motorcycles was on unfaired bikes without hearing protection. Between that and too much unprotected shooting, I've experienced a degree of hearing loss. I'm determined to save all I have left and so I wear them religiously now, even if it's just a couple mile putt from town. I also wear them anytime I'm mowing the grass or using my chain saw or anything like that. And when shooting (I allow myself a single unprotected rifle shot per year).

You're smart to wear 'em. Good thread.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:39 PM
rde
Road Captain

Not to rain on your parade but hearing loss is serious business. If you're pipes are too loud get rid of them. Use a windshield to buffer the wind. Start wearing a well made full face helmet that really does something about the wind noise (like a Shoei Multitech). And then spend money on good earplugs.
There really is something to the phase "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Quick Reply: Ear Plugs