Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What head set/communications do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 08:42 AM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default What head set/communications do you use?

Simple question time...

What headset/ communications device do you use attached to your helmet? I have seen the walkee talkee with the simple cords all the way to integrated into the bike. I kinda like the walkee talkee version simply because it looks inexpensive and non intrusive, but have no idea where to buy or begin to look to find what I want. I have an RK Classic. My desire is to talk to my passenger... or a fellow biker that I might know within amile or so of me. that's about it.

What do you use/swear by?

Old 12-23-2007, 09:39 AM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What head set/communications do you use?

Lots of options out there:

http://www.clearercom.com/motorsports.htm

http://www.jmcorp.com/

http://www.engadget.com/2005/05/04/s...rcycle-helmet/

I do wish HD would make the jump to Bluetooth and go wireless with their headsets (BMW has had them for about four years).

Personally, I don't wear one though.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:40 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The J&M headsets are hard to beat. They also make a intercom/CB radio that fits on the handlebars. don't know how good it is however. I use the headsets and lower cords on my UC, and have a small J&M intercom device that fits into the saddlebags on my WG, and works great for intercom only. didn't want the CB or radio on the WG, so the intercom met all my needs on it.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:51 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I've got the J&M headsets and intercom for my RK Custom. Don't particularly care for all the cords. Would like to switch to Bluetooth someday. Trouble is, the nice J&M helmet headsets aren't currently compatible, at least they weren't the last time I checked.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:59 AM
bigdognc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use both the J&M Elite and Standard Headsets, and also have the MOCO supplied headset that came with the bike. For voice, intercom, cb the moco is adequate, but if you want to listen to music, go J&M. I don't see much difference between the standard 277 and elite 594 series, save the money and go for the standard 277 series. I also have the J&M CB unit on the handlebars of my son's sportster. Works great, and you can feed in an aux signal from an FM/MP3 Player. This looks like the same unit that BMW offers on their bikes. Is very high quality, and if you want to use CB to comm to an ultra or GW, that is the way to go. Seems to me, that it would possible to design a bluetooth dongle to plug into the HD system, would like to see that. How about it JMJOHN?

Old 12-23-2007, 10:54 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: MustBBrent

Simple question time...

What headset/ communications device do you use attached to your helmet?

I recently ditched all my Chatterbox stuff in favor of Autocom. For bike to bike, I added motorola GMRS radios. Zumo 550 for mp3 (and, of course, navigation).

Old 12-23-2007, 11:57 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Autocom here, sounds great

Old 12-23-2007, 07:28 PM
24guns
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested in any of these, but I really want a set that will not require me to drill my helmet.

Well, to elaborate, I wear a half helmet and the wife wears a full face. I'd rather not modify either.

Suggestions?

Old 12-23-2007, 07:44 PM
agapsdiver
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 56 Posts

I use Motorola SX700 two way radios. they have about 10 mile range, 22 channels plus over 100 privacy codes and weather channels/alerts. I alsouse throat mics that are VOX compatiblewhichminimize wind noise.The ear pieces are the clear tube that fits in the ear, similar to what broadcasters wear. Price of both 2-way radio's was about $66.00 and both throat mics was about $70.00.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:01 PM
sewerat
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking for a good set of throat mics to work with my radios for bike to bike system, what brand did you go with and how well can you hear them? the first set I tried you could not pick up what the other was saying. Also the ol has a smaller neck and the mic wasn't even touching her.

Quick Reply: What head set/communications do you use?