Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII question re:upcoming smog laws

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:04 AM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCIII question re:upcoming smog laws

I live in N. Ca and I know that some day soon the C.A.R.B is going to require me to actaully take my S/G in for a smog check for new registration. My Question is this:

If I use the fuelmoto set-up and need to change back to stock for smog check, after re-installing the stock slip-on mufflers and a/c, do I just simply remove the PCIII and the ECM goes back to normal? Or do I have to have something done to the original ECM. I understand the PCIII zip ties to the ECM and just alters the signal coming from the ECM to the injectors but does it change the ECM maps at all? Especailly since you have to "zero" the throttle?

The fact that I will have to worry about conforming to the upcoming smog laws has the largest impact on the stage one decision. I want the system that is quickest and easiest to return to stock so I can re-new my registration. Hence, slip-ons instead of full exhaust system, PCII instead of sert because with the sertI would have to plug a lap top in and know how to put the stock map backin?

Do I have this all wrong or am I on the right track?

Old 12-23-2007, 12:34 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: PCIII question re:upcoming smog laws

Should have installed a V&H FuelPak.... Take it off and everything is as it was... That was one of the main reason I went with the FuelPak this time around..

Old 12-23-2007, 12:49 AM
gene01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same thing fo the pc111, all you d is remove it, plug the cable back into the ecm and you are done.... as far as smog laws, last week car and truck smogs were change for 95 and older, they actually pressurize the fuel tank and system with nitageon to check for leaks, will add 10.00 to each smog,in 2010 the ew equipment for diesel trucks comes out, there is a 10,000.00 retrofit to each truck.... damn..... and between 2010 and 2012, e hve motorcycles in the program..... you never know, they usualy run a year or two bhind as they never have funding.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:14 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PCIII USB has a USB port. It's super fast and simple to swap maps or make tweeks via laptop. It also has 9 V battery adapter to allow you to do same with inside desktop.

I don't see why you would need to remove it, simply unplug it(if there is room under the cover) and reconnect your 02 sensors......I would do it a few days ahead of inspection to allow ECM to relearn if it needs to.

The PCIII USB does nothing to your ECM, it makes no changes, so all ya gotta do is unplug it and reconnect the 02 sensors.

Both the SERT and PCIII USB allow FULL tuning capabilities whereas the fuelpac doesn't.

I suggest you call Jamie at fuelmotousa.com......I'm thinking you can leave the PCIII connected and simply reconnect the 02 sensors then load stock map into PCIII, and reinstall stock slipons, then drive it a day or two.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:31 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

CARB and the epa sticker laws are going to change a LOT of things. From what I understand, nothing under 25 years old will be grandfathered in, either. Better start hunting up stock exhaust systems and epa-certified exhaust systems.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:43 AM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, it also depends on where you live.

I've been running straight pipes on my pickup trucks forever-no muffs, no cats, no nuthin....and so far no talk of new inspection requirements.

But they DO enforce the "baggy pants" law and "boom box" laws down here......And that's as it should be.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:35 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it.
If I can't change the pipes on my bike, why can I on my truck? There is no CARB rating for mufflers because they aren't smog devices.
There are so many aftermarket tuning tools, there is no way that a smog station can afford to stay in business and check bikes.
They aren't gonna run my air cooled motor for 15 minutes at 2500 rpm like they do my cars without some special air movement system like at a tuners shop.
They sure as heck aren't going to ride my bike. Nobody wants the liability of dropping a bike while trying to test.

So many logistics, so much else to deal with. I just don't believe it will get off the ground.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:03 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Another example of Kalifornication. Coming to a state near you.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:13 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I'll believe it when I see it.
If I can't change the pipes on my bike, why can I on my truck? There is no CARB rating for mufflers because they aren't smog devices.

New EPA laws are (supposedly) going in to effect by 2010 ti disallow any non-EPA-certified (currently only OEM) exhaust devices. This is due to noise pollution as well as emissions.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what you guys are saying is with the PCIII you do not use your own O2 sensors because they are disconnected and the system is basically running in open loop cotrolled by the PCIII, where as the SERT uses the O2 sensors and runs in closed loop?

Quick Reply: PCIII question re:upcoming smog laws