Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII question re:upcoming smog laws

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 06:30 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: PCIII question re:upcoming smog laws

Yeah, but it's all worth it when it's 75 and sunny in December.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:05 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hoffy

If I use the fuelmoto set-up and need to change back to stock for smog check, after re-installing the stock slip-on mufflers and a/c, do I just simply remove the PCIII and the ECM goes back to normal? Or do I have to have something done to the original ECM. I understand the PCIII zip ties to the ECM and just alters the signal coming from the ECM to the injectors but does it change the ECM maps at all? Especailly since you have to "zero" the throttle?
You can leave it physically installed, but simply re-attach the EFI connectors in the stock configuration. Don't forget to reconnect the O2 sensors. The PCIII does not change the bike's ECM configuration. If the inspection check is made at idle, you could leave the PCIII connected, find an A/F gauge with exhaust sniffer, and adjust idle (0% TP @ 750-1250 RPM) downward 'til it hits 14.7. That's what it would be stock with the O2 sensors connected. Another idea in the absence of a sniffer would be to call Jamie and ask him to determine the correct setting on his '07 RK, then change it back after inspection. His isn't a California model, so that might make a difference. He would be the guy to quiz, but I wouldn't bother him 'til the time comes.

The fact that I will have to worry about conforming to the upcoming smog laws has the largest impact on the stage one decision. I want the system that is quickest and easiest to return to stock so I can re-new my registration. Hence, slip-ons instead of full exhaust system, PCII instead of sert because with the sertI would have to plug a lap top in and know how to put the stock map backin?
If you disconnect the PCIII and reconnect the O2 sensors, it would be a 10 min. operation to get it back to stock. The exhaust and intake mods you've made will only make it run leaner, although probably not much in the areas they're likely to check (idle and/or maybe the cruise range), which shouldn't hurt you. I'm guessing here, and being from LA this type of inspection on bikes will come years after CA does it, so I haven't given it much thought.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:28 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will see a few new bikes by the time it hits louisiana.