Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Street Glide CD Player ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 07:37 AM
streetglide#1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 06 Street Glide CD Player ???'s

I know the radio's are the same on all the baggers but I'm guessing that they have sold so many S/G's that it looks like a model specific item. I'd bet they are having the same probs on classics and ultras too.

Old 01-08-2006, 10:40 AM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its a problem specific to the new H/K radio and not a model problem. My 06 glide standard which I had the radio installed in is doing the skipping as well. Two things I have noticed is that it skips more on an MP3 cd then it does with a standard music cd, and if I remove the cd and put it right back into the radio I don't have the skipping problem. As far as some of the other problems I've heard about such as auto adjust sound and other stereo controls I had a service tech tell me that they have had service tickets on a lot of bikes where the problem started when someone is adjusting the volume while riding and accidentally gets into the settings menu. I've done this myself a couple of times, I be riding down the road and find myself adjusting the base or treble.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:52 PM
juscoop
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to the forum. I was just looking around and this subject caught my eye.I have a SG with 2200 miles .The cd player would skip so much I stopped using it .I did not realize this was such a problem. Yesterday I had the itch the temps got up to 35degs so I went for a ride and the raidio did not work at all.No display no time nothing .All fuses are good .Anybody else have this problem?
I will get pics up later
06 SG stage1,rineharts,$$$$$ in extras
04 custom softail apes,fat tire lots of custom hand fabed parts

Old 01-08-2006, 05:44 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

juscoop, check your display settings. As I mentioned in my post it is easy when riding and trying to adjust the volume to actually get into you setup and from there one of the things you can change is the brightness of you display. I had a harley service tech tell me that he had a lot of radios come back like that and it was a matter of just adjusting the display intensity.

Old 01-08-2006, 08:18 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

I think the deal is that they got a bad run of them... I work in IT, and we see it all the time. Reputable Manufacturer, but subbed out to another company offshore, and sometimes you get great stuff, sometimes you get junk. I am being patient with the dealer, and hoping that he can work it out. If anyone has had success with letting HD know about this, I would like to know how you did it. I have wanted a Harley for 20 years now. I love the bikes. I love the design and presentation of the SG. If this radio sucks, then Harley needs to know about, fix it, and lets move on... Did anyone see the newspaper? HD had a record year. They won't have another record sales year if these types of problems are stonewalled or ignored. I think all we would have to do is let somebody know that this radio's performance reminds us of the AMF era, and they will get off their cans and fix it. Rode today for shortie ride, and even though its cold, I had a blast. This bike rocks! Too bad the CD player sucks! But hang in there, there is a way with some patience and perseverance to get what we all paid for. HD will make it right.. Might have to ask a couple three times, but I have seen stuff like this get worked out. Be polite, and keep in mind, that this ain't a dealer thang.. its a manufacturer thang. I will keep everyone posted on what happens, and if you are struggling with the same issue, let me know. I have no problem politely letting HD know that other folks are in the boat with me. C'mon Spring!

Old 01-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Juicerenamed
Intermediate

If you goto Harley's web page and pull up the street glide or a touring model with the Harmon Kardon radio you will see there is an update for the stereo. You have to down load the file to disk then follow the steps to install the update. I have yet to have problems with mine but another club member has had several with his til the update was installed. Good luck hope this helps out!

Old 01-09-2006, 01:21 PM
GOSTAZ
Road Master

I have heard people talk about this download, but I do not know where on HD's site to go. Their main site is all advertising. Any help would really be appreciated if anyone knows the web address..

Thanks,
GOSTAZ

Old 01-09-2006, 01:50 PM
Juicerenamed
Intermediate

Ok goto www.harley-davidson.com after the page pulls up goto motorcycles. then click on touring bikes. When the touring bikes page comes up you will see advanced audio system just above the screamin' eagle utlra classic click on the audio system and it will pull up a second window in that window you will see the download updates on the right hand side. CLick on it and follow the instructions. Goodluck
Juice

Old 01-09-2006, 02:02 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

I spoke with Kate from HD last week about another problem. I did mention to her that the CD player on my unit skips very bad. She said the techs were aware of the problem and are working with H/K to resolve them. I will just relax till they come up with a fix. Having an electronics back ground I realize these problems take time to work out. Hopefully we will here something soon. I'll let everyone know when I here back from them.

Old 01-09-2006, 02:31 PM
solorider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: GOSTAZ

I think the deal is that they got a bad run of them... I work in IT, and we see it all the time. Reputable Manufacturer, but subbed out to another company offshore, and sometimes you get great stuff, sometimes you get junk.
Sad thing is, the back of the Harmon-Kardon stereo has a little label that says: "Made in USA"

Quick Reply: 06 Street Glide CD Player ???'s