Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Speed Wobble???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:41 AM
harleybodei
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Speed Wobble???

I see in influx of new products coming out to solve "high Speed Wooble". Maybe it's just me, but I don't notice any wobble at any speeds on my bike. Is this is a pretty common problem in the bagger community?
Just curious.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:01 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: High Speed Wobble???

It happens when heeled over pretty far in fast turns. I only notice it over 85 or so in longer turns. In lower-speed turns, or quick turns, I don't really feel it. It's disconcerting at first, but so far it hasn't proved to be especially dangerous or scary.

The swing arm bushings (should be bearings!) flex and the rear wheel falls out of line with the front, the bike self-corrects, and 'round and 'round it goes. I'd like to get one of the gadgets, but I haven't found it to be a $400 problem yet. Just an annoyance.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:32 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happen with baggers more then other bike because of the fairing on EC, SG. Not so much on the RG. Also many people have an unbalance weight in the bags.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just think what your bike would look like if you added everything that everyone talks about on here not to mention how much it would cost.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:40 AM
billhd1
Advanced

Neck bearings will give you a high speen wobble also. Check for loose or to tight bearings.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:02 PM
harleybodei
Road Master

I just never noticed any wobble before, I wasn't sure if maybe I wasn't going fast enough! [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 12-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Kasper
Tourer

ORIGINAL: billhd1

Neck bearings will give you a high speen wobble also. Check for loose or to tight bearings.
The most obvious thing that people ignore are the tire pressure and the pressure in the shocks. Both of these are critical and will also make a big difference in how the bike handles. The pressure in the shocks has to be adjusted for the load on the bike and when the load changes it ismandatory to change the pressure. Another item some people tend to forget is......do you put all your stuff into ONE saddlebag. All these things will make a difference as well. I have had 2 different touring bikes and have never experienced this problem, possibly becauseI check the pressures in my tires and shocks regularly and keep my saddle bags evenly loaded and I adjust my shock pressure to the load I am carrying.

Old 12-22-2007, 01:56 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

The wobble is something you will never forget if it happens to you! I've had it happen 2 times. Both times I was riding on bridges with a little crosswind. I was only going around 65 (both times)when the bike started to wobble. Felt like the wheels were going to come off. Let me tell you, it's not a pleasant experience especially when there are cages in the lanes next to you. I was afraid to slow down for fear that the wind would tip me over so I just hung on till it finally stopped at the bottom of the bridge.
Since that time I have had my steering head adjusted, it was found to be to tight. I've had the motor checked for alighnment, I've changed my shocks to Progressive 440's and I've added a touring XR stabilizer.
Thankfully, since making these changes, I haven't had any problems but Istill worry when I go over a bridge!

Old 12-22-2007, 02:01 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had read on one of the forums, that some city police department's have stopped using Harley's because of the wobble. I don't know how true that is.
Tom

Old 12-22-2007, 02:18 PM
daconiam
Tourer

Long sweeping turns at speed is when I have felt it. Very disconcerting to say the least [:-] Got a entrance to the local highway that is a lazy sweeping "S" turn as it goes up a bridge at the same time. The "wobble" has happened a few times on that part of the road as I transit from leaning over to the left to leaning over to the right at about 65mph.

Quick Reply: High Speed Wobble???