Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Speed Wobble???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:48 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default RE: High Speed Wobble???

Harley has patented a3rd link to cure this problem that never existed. The bike it is shown on is a Sportster but is applicable to all HD models. You may download a copy for yourself on my site [here]. Go to the bottom of the page to the red arrow and mailbox icon.
Many people have either been hurt or lost their lives because of this non-existent problem, The original design of these FL series was made by Eric Buell and included a 3rd link.

Here is a problem I suggest you may wish to think about (photo). Due to the extensive rake and weight of the FL model, you may also wish to check your own out. They wear elliptical on one side and than cause flex as the bushings are not tight like they are suppose to be. This photo was taken of a set of 2007 Street Glide with not a lot on miles. We had the forks apart because we were putting in our cartridges. Most mechanics do not check these.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/91A9A11F66CB44E39C5C8AAD20B071B3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-24-2007, 05:53 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I have a habit of going fast through the twisties. I have read about this & have been waiting for it to happen, but have never experienced it.

I think this and lochness are some how related

Old 12-24-2007, 06:44 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: harleybodei

I just never noticed any wobble before, I wasn't sure if maybe I wasn't going fast enough! [sm=confused06.gif]
You got it - twist the wrist!!!! I must be in the same boat 'cause I haven't had the wobbles either.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:45 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: greg09997

I have a habit of going fast through the twisties. I have read about this & have been waiting for it to happen, but have never experienced it.

I think this and lochness are some how related
You won't notice it on twisties so much as sweepers and I'm talking FAST and leaned way over.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:11 PM
cirhere2
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't felt it either and just wondered if there is alot of people on here trying to sell their products?

just a thought

Old 12-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Ultradickweed
Intermediate

I had it happen quite a bit on my 01 ultra and I built a plate that ties the frame and motor together similar to one on the market,changed everythingI could think of .It wasn't till I put a new front tire on that it went away.Had severe woblle at 45 on my 99 Suzuki Intruder 1500 ,changed front tire and its gone

Old 12-24-2007, 09:27 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't think "high-speed wobble" is really a correct description of the problem, as that conjures up images of "tank slapper" wobble that can occur in sport bikes at high speed. That type of front-end wobble is dangerous and much more prominent than the rear-end "waggle" (from lack of a better word) on rubber-mount HD's. It is not an imaginary problem that vendors have jumped to cure.

I had the problem in my '96 RK, although it rarely occurred and only in high-speed sweepers. In later years HD beefed up the swingarm and axles, which helped stabilize the bikes somewhat, but the root of the problem lies with the rubber-mounted engine and the way the rear mount attaches to the swingarm. There is a horizontal movement that causes the track of the front to disengage from the rear. The fix is to secure the engine so that horizontal movement can't occur, and common to all third-party kits is a link with two heim joints. If movement can be curbed laterally, but not longitudinally or vertically, engine vibrations don't intrude to the rider, yet the quirky movement can be stopped.

I installed the Ride Str8 because I felt it was the best engineered of the group, although perhaps the hardest to install. It did improve the waggle considerably, practically eliminating it, and I consider it a worthwhile modification. I will say that at no time in the nine years I rode my old RK, nor in the year I've owned my SG, have I felt the waggle to be dangerous. But adding the stabilizer has made the fast sweepers a bit less quirky, and I can better hold my own with my friends who own BMW's.

FWIW, I wrote up the installation here, along with some opinions about competitive products and the overall result: https://www.hdforums.com/m_1957210/tm.htm

Old 12-24-2007, 09:53 PM
RIDEIRISH
Tourer

I just did Sta-Bo.....I haven't ridden hard yet due to weather conditions...but just around town, at moderate speeds, I feel it handles better....

Old 12-24-2007, 10:30 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was only fast long sweeper's that the swimming motion (I think that describes it better than a wobble) would happen to me, but if it did it was not a pleasant thing toride thru for sure! Coming down I-40 and I-26 from Gatlingburg at70 to 80 mph on the long downhill sweeper's between transfer trucks, loaded and riding two up, it was spooky, felt like it was going walk right over to the next lane with nothing you could do about it either [:-]Tire's had the right air presure, shocks were right, and tires were new. I put a SRT-8 clone I got off e-bay called the Missing Link on and it tighten my bike up a lot, feel's much more glued to the road now! If it's never happened to you be thankful for that, if it has, chances are you've bought one of the fixes your laughing about

Old 12-25-2007, 05:45 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: RIDEIRISH

I just did Sta-Bo.....I haven't ridden hard yet due to weather conditions...but just around town, at moderate speeds, I feel it handles better....
That's going to be my first step. I just can't see the other solutions' $400 price tag being justifiable.

Quick Reply: High Speed Wobble???