Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatcat Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 04:23 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Fatcat Issue

Got the new build done and Fatcats installed. One issue with the pipes though. They supply a POS clamp and when tightened up and torqued, the muffler slips backwards about 1/2". Pipe for a Harley indeed wonder if the pulled the pipe off the shelf for a Honda instead lol. Maybe they had their "H's" mixed up! Seriously, I can't be the only one whose had this issue. Aside from calling D&D and getting a real clamp, what have yall tried. Other than that, a great pipe. Got the
quiet baffles and I am here to tell ya, they are anything but quiet!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:36 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Fatcat Issue

When I put mine on I noticed the slots were shorter than the clamp by a bit, so when I installed it I tapped the clamp back till it was just barely pass the slot's but covering them then tightened down. Mine hasn't slipped any so far, knock on wood I had read about it before so when I put mine on I was looking for that problem, I think the slots should have been longer, I was going lenghten them if this didn't work I got the ~Stealth~ baffle too, throaty at idle and cruising, REALLY talks when wack it hard going down the road though

Old 12-21-2007, 05:10 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

Tighten the clamp when hot, let it cool then tighten again.
Repeat a couple times.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:13 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing.... make sure the clamp is DIRECTLY over the slits in the muffler when you're tightening it down. Some have said they had to make those slits a little longer too.

So.... do you have the bike back now? Does it run "a little different"?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:58 PM
rpt63
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem, and I ended up drilling a little hole right in front of the rubber dampner at the rear of the mounting bracket for the muffler and putting a smallnut and bolt,no more slipping after 5000mi.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:56 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Try taking some emery cloth and sanding up the mating surfaces, chrome on chrome don't hold well.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rideon

Try taking some emery cloth and sanding up the mating surfaces, chrome on chrome don't hold well.
Exactly..............the new chrome parts are too slippery to have any holding power. Rough them up a bit, make sure the clamp is positioned right, and tighten it down super tight.

Mine has never moved from the first time I installed it, but I know of 2 guys around here who had their slide back on them.

Steve

Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 AM
musclehead
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lenghtened the slots in mine with a cut-off grinder which has resolved the problem.

Old 12-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Badbagger
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 323 Likes on 190 Posts

Solved. Silicone inside the muffers and then drilled and tapped the bracket that the muffer bolts to under the saddle bag and ran a bolt thru it. That should help it from sliding back and also roughened up the chrome so there's something to bite on.
Pipes are great. I was really pretty surprised how loud the quiet baffles are lol. Granted it is subjective and that all builds will be different etc. But damn, they are NOT a quiet pipe. Not complaining lol... they sound awesome.

Steve, sure glad you convinced me to go the quiet baffle route or I'd been changing the baffles out I am sure.