Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shimming Baffles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shimming Baffles?

I searched but came up empty (Ithought Ihad seenit asked once before):

I've got a slight bit of rattle form inside one of my slipons (headers all inspect as undamaged and it does not appear to be the heatshield). I'm pretty sure it's simply the front end of the baffle rattling inside the pipe....and I was wondering if there is a method/material for shimming such (or should I try to flair the baffel itself).

Any suggestions?

Old 12-21-2007, 12:28 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Shimming Baffels?

If they are Rush slip-ons with removable baffle, I think I would take them out and try a muffler shop. See if they can expand them just a touch. If you go to much you may be in trouble tho. There machine may not go that small?? If you can reach them you may be able to slip the muff off and tac weld them on that end with a wire welder. Make sure if you do you do it on the bottom incase the weld makes a mark on the chrome, f you plan on keeping the baffles in, which I recommend. That's probably what I would do but that's me. That's basically what I did on my muffler but I used solid 2" pipe threw the center, no baffle

Old 12-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shimming Baffles?

Update:

I got tired of listening to the rattle, so today I pulled the pipe off (it was quite obvious once I removed the pipe that the rattle was in fact coming from the front section of the baffle). I un-bolted the baffle and slid it out of the pipe. The forward section had noticeable play. One of the reasons I went with Rush was the interchangeable baffles, so having it welded into place wasn't really something I wanted to do.

I cut a 2" x 4" section out of an aluminum can and folded it over the front edge of the baffle. The tape securing the matting had deteriorated somewhat, so I used a few strands of thin, bare wire to re-secure it. The baffle slid back into the pipe with little effort, butnow showed no signs of excess play.

Just in case anyone runs across this in the future. You can shim a baffle.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:51 PM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Cool, good work!

Old 12-22-2007, 10:34 PM
unclekunkle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently took the rattle outa my Daughters RKC's V & H's left side slip on. After removing the baffle...I sorta knurled the inner end with pliers...just enough for a snug fit...rattle gone.

Old 12-22-2007, 10:53 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's hope that beer can shim don't start resonating like a reed in a saxiphone!

No, seriously, you made quick work of it.........Funny how others here including me thought to distort the front bell to make it fit snugger.....I was gonna suggest you kinda pound it to where it was a little egg-shaped then drive it back in, but the shim seems an easy fix.....JUst remember to start it up and blow the shim out cause it will probably remain inside the pipe if you ever pull that baffle.