Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GW vs Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:36 PM
vstarredneck
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GW vs Ultra Classic

I'm looking at these 2 different bikes. Price wise the bikes are about the same. The biggest difference I'm concerned about is passenger comfort. My wife is, lets say robust, well rounded.
I'm not looking to bash either bike. I'm looking for a daily commuter (current ride vstar 1100), and one I can take a 1 or 2 day trip on when the urge hits. This is why I'm leaning toward the HD. The passenger comfort is very important.

I've compared the cost: MSRP
Honda GW Ultra Classic
Bike 22099 21225
CB 950 0
heated seat 0599
Nav system0 850
Slip on 0 289
Heritage 0 Priceless
23049 23063

Note heat seats and nav add to get a close apple to apple comparison on bikes.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GW vs Ultra Classic

First post so welcome to the forums.

Both are rolling lounge chairs as far as comfort. I (of course) prefer the HD.
Have ridden many thousands of miles two up on the Ultra.
A Mustang touring seat will provide more comfort than the stock seat but stock ain't bad.
I also prefer the more forward foot position of the HD.

I don't need:
Heated seat, and I have the HD nav system but others can be had cheaper and probably better as far as visibility and usability.

Heritage? Goldwings are nice but, yes there is just something about a Harley.

Try to ride both if you can and decide for yourself.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:48 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The GOLD WING is an AWESOME TOURING BIKE (have had a few myself) I have put on many 100's of thousands of trouble free miles on them -
They have gone to too much plactic and they - Just Lack The Soul that a Harley gives you...

And Welcome

Old 12-20-2007, 07:49 PM
MrHd1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard it said of both bikes that the passenger buys them not the rider. My passenger is no longer up to long rides but she still enjoys the Sunday afternoon jaunt. Both bikes are damn compfortable for the rider and the passenger.

Since I still like to ride long distances I still make the ultimate decision. I've ridden both for more than a trip around the block and my ergos fit the HD. To make an informed decision you need a good lengthy test ride. YOu can obtain one on the HD by renting the bike for as long as you like. THey'll even discount the rental if you buy the bike. You probably wont get to rent a GW so your best bet is finding a dealer with a used one for sale or abuddy that will let you ride his. The bikes are very different but you'll know which oneyou like the best after riding them both,I'll bet.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 PM
BIGCHIEF
Cruiser

Rent both of them and take teh wife out. Have a beer ...then decide.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:54 PM
crash1292
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

goldwing for sure more power with no mods...harley= underpowered and when you do jack it up the fkn crank twists.....fkn junk.....will NEVER BUY A NEW HARLEY AGAIN!!!!!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Why does your Goldwing have a zero next to Nav system?
What is heritage "zero" and then "priceless"? (how does that affect 'passenger comfort'?)
You have your mind set already...so just say so and don't ask a TROLL question.
Slip on? Heat seat? I would think that the Goldwing does not need 'slip ons'....
sinceit does well on the road. Heated seats are available for the Goldwing also....
as are heated handgrips.
One thing I would grant you negative about the Goldwing, is the amount of body panels ("plastic" in Goldwing speak) that is required to be removed to do some pretty basic maintenance.
I ride a 1996 GL1500...my G/friend calls it her "queen seat". The 2001 and later Goldwings 1800's have much more power and a more sport tourer feel than my 1500....but my 1500 is no slouch.
But like I mentioned.....only bad thing is it takes about two hours for me to change the air filter.
You are a HARLEY guy. Stay that way.
Chuck

Old 12-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

I switched from a Wing (GL1800) to an Ultra Classic. While there are some similarities, there are differences too.

But from a passenger's point of view, here's what my wife has said after riding both...the Wing provided a better angle of back support (I did have the passenger backrest modified on the Wing but not yet on the UC), the stock Wing and UC seat is about as comfy, they both sit about the same height, and wind turbulence is about the same as well. Of course, the UC is louder and vibrates more (at a stop anyway). There is more noticeable heat with the UC but it was not uncomfortable for her (cool weather riding only).

Now with all that said, my wife does not normally ride for more than 45 minutes to an hour so I can’t comment on longer distance rides.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-20-2007, 07:59 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: crash1292

goldwing for sure more power with no mods...harley= underpowered and when you do jack it up the fkn crank twists.....fkn junk.....will NEVER BUY A NEW HARLEY AGAIN!!!!!

Didn't you mention in a post one time, that you WORK for HD?

Old 12-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Fahpah
Tourer

I know this isnt very Scientific but when I was ready to buy I was really having a hard time deciding on aUC or the Goldwing. I visited both dealers several times and a friend told me something that really swayed me a lot. They are both excellant bikes, the GW is one of the most technically advanced bikes on the road, but the Harley has something a GW will never have...Soul. I think that is true, you can hear it when you fire it up.

When I went to the Honda dealer, all he did was put down the Harley. Told me nothing that wasan advantage ofthe GWover the Harley. Also his attitude kind of pissed me off, like I should have known not to even compare the two bikes.

Then, when I went toHD and talked to them they explained why they felt the UC was the best bike for me and its advantages of it over a GW.

I know it was childish but three days after I bought the UC I drove back to the Honda dealership and told the Salesmanager my experience and why I bought the UC. I thought the Honda sales guy was gonna sh** his pants.

I made the right decision for me, you have to decide for yourself.

Quick Reply: GW vs Ultra Classic