Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GW vs Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Dannl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GW vs Ultra Classic

The last time I was considering trading to a new bike, I looked at Victorys, BMWs, and Harleys. I know the Honda makes a very nice running motorcycle but it just didn't have any attraction to me. Like so many others have said on here, It really isn't intirely about performance. It is hard to getpassionate about the looks of a gold wing ........they all look just alike.I know we Harley riders spend a considerable amout of money on our motorcycles, but I love the fact thateach of us can create our ownmachines. Our Harleysmake a statement about who we are. GW aretend to be all beige, plastic and uninteresting.

Old 12-25-2007, 05:57 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 581 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dannl

The last time I was considering trading to a new bike, I looked at Victorys, BMWs, and Harleys. I know the Honda makes a very nice running motorcycle but it just didn't have any attraction to me. Like so many others have said on here, It really isn't intirely about performance. It is hard to getpassionate about the looks of a gold wing ........they all look just alike.I know we Harley riders spend a considerable amout of money on our motorcycles, but I love the fact thateach of us can create our ownmachines. Our Harleysmake a statement about who we are. GW aretend to be all beige, plastic and uninteresting.
Not true. I recently saw one that was red, plastic and uninteresting.

Old 12-25-2007, 06:12 AM
nearmiss
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The responses on this site are very civil. Ask the same question on the gw site and watch the fur fly.

Old 12-25-2007, 07:40 AM
tmblweed
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: olbagr

I had a 2002 GW for 5 years prior to buying the Ultra I am riding now. Little or no maintenance on the wing except changing the oil every 5K with amsoil. Changed the plugs at 50,000. Five sets of tires in 80,00 miles. I wish I could have kept the wing and bought the UC too.

Faults with wing: Way to much fragile plastic on it. Breaks if you look at it wrong. 2+ hours to change air filter " what a stupid design"
Saddle bags(side opening): when opened everything falls out
Accesorries: Any add on chrome is plastic and CRAP "kuryakyn posterchild"

Good things about wing: Fill it up with"regular" gasand ride it across the country and don't worry about it.

I have friends with Wings, you never get 20,000 on a set of tires according to them. More 8-9000..

Old 12-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Bigredone
Road Master

Gold Wing = Ugly
Ultra Classic= Purty

Old 12-25-2007, 08:34 AM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

I have to agree with chornbe.

If I signed on to this forum with a serious question and got some of these rude responses, I would probably decide to hang with the Gold Wingers.

As I see it, the advantage of this type of forum is that we all learn something from one another. Sometimes that means we save money by learning from the experience of another. Sometimes we can help someone else save some money. Each of us should benefit from participation.Rude responses willmake some members of the forum decide to spend their time in a friendlier environment. When that happens we lose the benefit of that person's experience.

Remember why you're here.

Besides....we're supposed to be nice! It's Christmas!

Andy

Old 12-25-2007, 01:40 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

Hay Andy go over to a GoldWing site and start telling them all about your great Harley and you WILL get a real eye opener!!
There are very few threads on the Honda/Suki/Yami boards that dosn't end up with some Harley Jabs in them somewhere. They don't even have to have anything to do with Harleys. Many of them just plain Hate Harley Motorcycles and they hate Harley Motorcycle riders.
So before you start scolding anyone yu should go and visit your subject..

Old 12-25-2007, 06:43 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

Yes but all of thier conversions they want to do usually have nothing to do with the motors. Normally its with bling to make thier Suzuki, Yamaha, or Honda cruisers lok more like a ......Road king or a heritage. Go figure....bitch and moan about harleys a then try to duplicate them. I hae never EVER heard of a HD rider try to make his bike more like a Honda or sumthing.
[sm=massbounce.gif]

Old 12-25-2007, 07:08 PM
jr_c6
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: The Old Man

...I have never EVER heard of a HD rider try to make his bike more like a Honda or sumthing...
Maybe not "LOOK" like another bike, but there are certainly more than one post around here about trying to get their Harley to be able to keep up with a GW! [8D]

BTW, my Ultra goes plenty fast for me!

Old 12-25-2007, 08:39 PM
2057ken
Cruiser

WO! BACK UP THE TRUCK HERE! First of all I'm not a honda guy or a harley guy. I'm my own person and ride what I want, when I want.Secondly, no one has mentioned the Yamaha Royal Star Venture 1300. I rode all three, the GW, owned an 2005 midnight venture, and now am owned by an HD ultra. I loved the RSV this is one sweet ride. Great power and in my opion the most comfy out of all three. The RSV handles ok,on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best the RSV would be a 5 at slow speed and a 8 at highway speed.While at a stop with two up it was very top heavy, but could be managed. The GW's handling was 10 in the twisties and closer to a 7 at slow speed.Icould lean into a curve at high speedand pull it back up like a feather, almost like it was on tracks. The GW was more like a crouch rocket to me. If it could talk I think it would just keep asking to go faster. For the wife the wing fit her best (5'5" 120 lbs) and was the most comfy for her. And now for my favorite. I have an 08 Ultra. This is my first HD. In the past I alwaysthougt ofHDbeing in the dark ages, simple V-twin, not keeping up with the other guys. Well I was wrong!! I brought my HD after much research and many hour reading different forums. The ultra handles like a dream. Now I don't have much time in the saddle yet, but so far I can say it an over all 9 at highway speed and parking lot speed. The new 96 has all the power I'll ever need even two up. The seating position for me seems alittle snug, but not near as cramped as the GW. For the wife she would like to stretch more like on the GW, but it is what it is. If some one would come to me and offer a free HD, GW, or RSV I would go with the HD for the best all a round package.

Quick Reply: GW vs Ultra Classic