Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GW vs Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:31 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GW vs Ultra Classic

Welcome to the board.
My father in law has a goldwing which my mother in law rides with him very often. She has told me many times how more comfortable the goldwing is compared to his old Ultra "03". The GW is much faster and quiet is like riding a car on two wheels. However the Harley is less bulky and I would say more rugged for better words, but as other have said compare apples to apples and let the old lady decide.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:17 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the GW 1800 too, but bought the Ultra. About a grand more for the HD, but, better re-sale down the road. And I liked the seating position on the HD much better. You sit 'in' a Harley, not on it. And, that chrome plated, air cooled 96cuinmotor, Wow! and that roomy tour pack-----, oh yeah, I am happy with my choice. You will be too!

Old 12-21-2007, 02:26 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: chornbe

VStar, I'd like to point out that you're not likely to get too objective a response on this forum. Not a dig, but it *is* a Harley forum and a lot of Harley folks area dyed-in-the-wool lifetime lovers.

I *love* everything about the 'Wing but ultimately went with the 'Glide because of a few basic things.

1 - the Goldwing is a 900lb sport bike under the covers. I would have had the same problem with it that I had with my FJR; I could *not* ride that bike slow.

2 - the Goldwing is actually a tad bit more comfy for those with slightly bigger rumps. Sorry guys - it's true.

3 - the Goldwing has a HUGE appetite for tires and with the shim-n-bucket valves, they are a higher-cost-over-time bike to maintain.

4 - You're looking at two very different rides; the 'Wing while maintaining a comfortable seating position *is* an aggressive bike, power and handling. It's also much quieter and smoother in all circumstances and is an absolute joy to ride. The 'Glide is a more "in the wind" visceral experience and while it can be ridden hard and fast if you choose (and yeah, it'll surprise a lot of folks in handling), the long trail and more relaxed seating provides a more (overall) laid-back, long-road, no-hurry-to-get-there kind of feel.

Both are great bikes and it comes down to preference. The 'Wing will eat tires every 9k miles on a good day, and some shops won't change the tires because they're sissies and won't have the right tools. Just keep that in mind. It uses a sport/touring profile and compound tire, tho' folks have changed to pure touring tires to extend miles. IMO, if you can afford a 'Wing, just budget in for tires and use the right stuff. Otherwise, you're missing out on some of the cornering joy that bike provides.

ORIGINAL: vstarredneck

I'm looking at these 2 different bikes. Price wise the bikes are about the same. The biggest difference I'm concerned about is passenger comfort. My wife is, lets say robust, well rounded.
I'm not looking to bash either bike. I'm looking for a daily commuter (current ride vstar 1100), and one I can take a 1 or 2 day trip on when the urge hits. This is why I'm leaning toward the HD. The passenger comfort is very important.

I've compared the cost: MSRP
Honda GW Ultra Classic
Bike 22099 21225
CB 950 0
heated seat 0 599
Nav system 0 850
Slip on 0 289
Heritage 0 Priceless
23049 23063

Note heat seats and nav add to get a close apple to apple comparison on bikes.
I've owned 2 1800 Goldwings and wanted to respond to this. I know people ride diffrent and diffrent types of roads but I always got around 12,000 miles on my tires (of the 3 Harleys I've owned about 7,000-8,000 was the best I've ever gotten out of a rear tire...fronts last forever). Higher cost to mantain...I don't think so. The valves only have to be CHECKED every 32,000 miles and its very rare that they every need adjusting. I had 40,000 on my last wing...plugs at 28,000, air fitler the same time and thats it....the brake pads were still in spec (my best friend's Heritage eats rear pads for some reason). You can find Goldwings with 200,000 miles that have only had oil and filter changes. I'm not trying to say that the Wing is better than a Harley. They are both great bikes. The Wing is better at some things and the Ultra at others. I've known people who the Wing just didn't fit but the Ultra was perfect. My local dealer let me take his Ultra for a weekend...we liked the Wing (but I really liked the Ultra). My wife is 6 feet tall and just was more comfortable on the wing but that was her. Others find the Ultra just as comfortable. I will say this...the Wing requires very little upkeep but it is a pain in the *** when y

Old 12-21-2007, 02:44 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: crash1292

goldwing for sure more power with no mods...harley= underpowered and when you do jack it up the fkn crank twists.....fkn junk.....will NEVER BUY A NEW HARLEY AGAIN!!!!!

I guess Gold Wings never had recalls that specify Frame breaking in two and the dealer can take to a reputable welder in your area to fix, or how about ECM's that spontaniously combust and they did not have a fix for a month or so. Both could cause serious damage and or death. Do not ride your bike until repaired. Weight out the issues. Neither is perfect. I remember as little as 5 years ago when I couldn't even convince a Goldwing rider to test ride an Ultra. Today I have converted a few.

The hardest part about owning a Honda would be telling your parents your gay.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:15 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gutman

I guess Gold Wings never had recalls that specify Frame breaking in two and the dealer can take to a reputable welder in your area to fix, or how about ECM's that spontaniously combust and they did not have a fix for a month or so. Both could cause serious damage and or death. Do not ride your bike until repaired. Weight out the issues. Neither is perfect. I remember as little as 5 years ago when I couldn't even convince a Goldwing rider to test ride an Ultra. Today I have converted a few.
Honda *did* recall the frames and repaired (re-welded) or replaced them at discretion. As for the ECM not having a fix for a "month or so", show me one... just ONE other Motorcycle company that reacted that fast to ANY problem found common and reproducable...? Don't Harley 'Glides eat up fairing mounts like crazy? I think I remember half a dozen threads just about that alone. Or the "my '07/'08 runs too hot"? Or the front engine mount? C'mon... *every* machine and *every* manufacturer has issues from time to time.

Credibility lost. You sound like an *** when you spout off like that.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Dabaldone
Novice

About 6 months ago I traded in my Goldwing for a Roadglide. I had the Goldwing for 5 years.
I've had plenty of other bikes, Harley, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and other Hondas. I did it for me not for my wife's comfort. Nothing beats a Goldwing for eating up highway miles at the greatest speed and comfort. My wife is a little cubby also and she loved it. I could cruise at 100 mph in almost total silence with her on the back and not even know she was back there and she never new I was going that fast. The Wing was a beautiful bike and out preformed my Roadglide on the highyway by a large margin, but I don't regret trading it.

As perfect as the Wing may be for highyway travel it stilldidn't feel like a real motorcycle. My wife loves riding with me, but I ride alone alot, the Roadglide handles better on the road than an Ultra and is very easy to handle around town. The Wing was a bear around town and just didn' t have the feel I wanted.

I didn't get an Electa Glide or an Ultra, because I didn't want to be like everyone else. So I got the kind of motorcycle I wanted, we can still ride two up on the highywayand we don't have to look like everyone else. I love the looks I get from other Harley riders. I hear, "How can you ride with that fixed fairing, it's almost like your Goldwing". So now I just go 75 mph on the highyway, like everyone else.

I guess I just refuse to fit in. But then I would never join a club that would have me as a member.

Good luck.

Old 12-21-2007, 04:12 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Dabaldone

About 6 months ago I traded in my Goldwing for a Roadglide. I had the Goldwing for 5 years.
I've had plenty of other bikes, Harley, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and other Hondas. I did it for me not for my wife's comfort. Nothing beats a Goldwing for eating up highway miles at the greatest speed and comfort. My wife is a little cubby also and she loved it. I could cruise at 100 mph in almost total silence with her on the back and not even know she was back there and she never new I was going that fast. The Wing was a beautiful bike and out preformed my Roadglide on the highyway by a large margin, but I don't regret trading it.

As perfect as the Wing may be for highyway travel it stilldidn't feel like a real motorcycle. My wife loves riding with me, but I ride alone alot, the Roadglide handles better on the road than an Ultra and is very easy to handle around town. The Wing was a bear around town and just didn' t have the feel I wanted.

I didn't get an Electa Glide or an Ultra, because I didn't want to be like everyone else. So I got the kind of motorcycle I wanted, we can still ride two up on the highywayand we don't have to look like everyone else. I love the looks I get from other Harley riders. I hear, "How can you ride with that fixed fairing, it's almost like your Goldwing". So now I just go 75 mph on the highyway, like everyone else.

I guess I just refuse to fit in. But then I would never join a club that would have me as a member.

Good luck.
I rented a Road Glide last year..took it stright to Deal's Gap. Of all the Harley's I have owned or ridden this is my favorite. I know lots of people don't like the shark nose but I do but then again its about choice.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

What's up with the stuffed toys strapped to the back of Wings?

Old 12-21-2007, 07:23 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 12-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Geoff

What's up with the stuffed toys strapped to the back of Wings?
I was always curious about this myself. Rode on aride sponsored by a GW group and it looked like toys r us in the parking lot with all of the stuffed animals zip tied to the tour pacs.

As for the bikes, both quality machines but I prefer the seating position of the Ultra. For looks it is the Ultra but for performance the nod has to go to the GW.

Quick Reply: GW vs Ultra Classic