Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GW vs Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:21 AM
olbagr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GW vs Ultra Classic

I had a 2002 GW for 5 years prior to buying the Ultra I am riding now. Little or no maintenance on the wing except changing the oil every 5K with amsoil. Changed the plugs at 50,000. Five sets of tires in 80,00 miles. I wish I could have kept the wing and bought the UC too.

Faults with wing: Way to much fragile plastic on it. Breaks if you look at it wrong. 2+ hours to change air filter " what a stupid design"
Saddle bags(side opening): when opened everything falls out
Accesorries: Any add on chrome is plastic and CRAP "kuryakyn posterchild"

Good things about wing: Fill it up with"regular" gasand ride it across the country and don't worry about it.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:26 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I know there are people that have gone from HD to GW and GW to HD
Because they are different people with different styles in mind.
I still say test ride both. Then you and your wife will know which is best for your riding style.
Both are great bikes.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't like the seating position on the GW for the driver, I also didn't like the feel of the handlebars and controls. The single biggest factor for me was that just thumbing the starter on my UC puts a big grin on my face....before I've even clicked into gear. The fact that I can stand back and just look at my Harley and feel good about owning it....when I stand back and look at a GW all I can think is "look at all that plastic".

Regardless of opinions you get here you have to make your own decision on what will give you the most pleasure. You can't spend that much just to make the wife happy...it has to do something for you too.

Old 12-21-2007, 08:49 AM
basshawk84
Novice

I was debating the same decision earlier this fall. I took a test ride on both bikes and both performed well. The GoldWing definitely had more power. My decision came down to one vital area for me.

Answer this question truthfully: When you get offof yourbike and walk away from it, do you want to turn around a take a look at it just because you like the way it looks? My answer to that for the Ultra was yes and the GoldWing was no, so I bought the Ultra and love it!

Old 12-21-2007, 08:53 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

That's some funny chit.....

ORIGINAL: Jim Dawson

My buddy has a Wing and says it's just 2 plastic body panels short of being an Accord.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

There's no loser with either of these bikes.When I bought my bike about three months ago I took a good look at a friends GW and liked it. I chose a EGC for a lot of reasons but mostly, style, sound, colors, the unlimitedcombination of modifications, distance to my dealer, and the Brotherhood. I'll explain that in a minute.

On thefirst ride I took on my Glide with my bud on his Wing we stopped for a break. We got a drink and sat on curb at a gas station looking and comparing our bikes. He said I saw all your buddies back there! All morning long he rode lead. We noticed every time we passed one or a group of Harley riders they would wait till they got passed him and low five me and it was kind of embarrassing after a while. I could tell it was starting toaggravate him. While sitting at the station it became obvious that people would walk by us and stop, look at both bikes, and then migrate over to mine.

He said you can put a two thousand dollars in a Wing and it still looks the same. No matter what you do toit you can't change the outline or shape of it. The Honda foot controls make you sit up straight and I don't know if they can be moved forward. I could tell by his comments he liked mine a little more than his. He said on the GW you can't remove the tour pack, no engine chrome because you can't see it anyway.He didn't like the GW bags or the way they slide open. The Harley has the American motorcycle look and the Honda has afuturistic,yet sort of nerdy, homogeneous plastic panel covered look.He also noted there were more things for Harley riders like places to hang out and cruise insthan for Honda's.

It really comes down to you. What do you want? Where you going? Do you like to customize your ride?Etc.

Ride well,

Jim

Old 12-21-2007, 09:32 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

If you can't afford to rent both machines, visit bike shows and dealers.If it doesn't feed good to both of you sitting still, don't bother. I sat on everybike at dealers and bike shows and there were only two bikes I wanted to try, the GW and EG. I'm guess you're at that point now.
There are a lot of dealers that have Demo Days. Take advantage of the free rides, food and music. Look at what other customers have done to their rides.
My experience: the GW seemed a little top heavy compared to my VT1100. The seat height made it a stretch. I have a 33" inseam and did not feel flat footed. IMHO, having both feetfirmly grounded at stops and Michigan left turns is a priority if I have someone on back. Didn't want to spend extra lowering it. Once up and rolling I could not find a comfortable position. I heard if you add floorboards (a priority with me), they will bang the back of your leg when you put your feet down. Bottom line, it just didn't feel right for me, but I didn't need to go far to figure that out.
Harley experience: after 10 minutes I couldn't wait to buy one. It felt better on the road than in the show room. Comfortable at any speed. Again, I didn't need to go far to figure it out.
There's a lot of good advice, (and a couple a** holes), but if you've been riding a while you really don't need anyone to tell you what is the right bike for you.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:56 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddy has a GL 1500 he loves it, I've rode it and at 6'2" I was cramped using the stock peg's thankfully he had hi'way pegs or I'd never made it more than a few miles. For a 6 cly I felt like it didn't have as much low end TQ as I thought it would have had, that and the tight ergo's were the two thing's that jumped out at me. Handling felt good and solid at hiway speeds, parking lot speeds or slower speeds around town and turning or I should say the lack of being able to turn sharply also amazed me. I rib him all the time about the first line in any instrutions for something we do to it is ~REMOVE BODY ~it's all good natured ribbing of course I have a 05 Road Glide with the fixed fairing like the GW before making up your mind price a RG with the TP and CB and Lower fairing included and I think you'd have the best of both worlds. In my case the Harley was the only choice, of course I had harley's since 83, I've never ridden the 1800 GW but I heard it was scary fast. One other thing to consider would be the HUGE aftermarket support for the Harley in all things from mild to wild! The GW's aftermarket is mostly chrome addon's or electric's something to consider, EXP. Radio's, in the GW's your locked into the factory setup pretty much, on a harley any aftermarket radio can be installed that's one thing my buddy hate's about his. On my Road Glide I can flip two levers and in 10 minutes change from a fully loaded touring rig to a solo seated sleek looking bar hopper with the driver comfort of a bagger with a kick *** tune system, in the end it comes down to what you think or want, I just thought I'd toss a few things I hadn't seen discussed or brought up yet to your att.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:33 AM
backnasaddle
Tourer

Buy the one that puts the biggest smile on your face. When your talking about parting with 5 figures of your hard earned, it doesn't amtter what anyone else thinks. You don't buy either one of them because they're the best value for the $$$. They're not. You buy one because you want one. I happen to like the way my Glide sits better than a Wing. I also love that V-Twin sound.Nothing like it. My bride likes it better, too, so that's the way I went. I miss thewater cooling, but no complaints.I still may put a Valk in the garageto go with the Glide someday. I like to see my machinery. Good luck.

Old 12-21-2007, 12:21 PM
jackja25
Road Captain

I know this will cost you a little more. But the best thing you and your wife could do, would be to rent both. Yes they will basically be stock, but this way you can get the feel driving both with her on the bike. The handling characteristics are different and she will get the feel of them both. Rent them all from eaglerider.com hopefully you have a eatle rider shop locally.

Quick Reply: GW vs Ultra Classic