Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GW vs Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 05:11 AM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GW vs Ultra Classic

I looked at the GW. Comfort was the main issue for the wife. I rode two or three GW's and I was not comfortable on them. I did not like haveing my feet crowded by the pancake engine. It is very smooth. My buddie had an 01 and we were discussing the engine heat issues. He said GW have it too! and in spades...when you are stuck in traffic and its hot out and the TWO big fans come on for the TWO radiators guess where the heat goes!!
I gave her a ride on the EGC and she loved it and is very comfy. Now I am 5'11" and 180#, she is 5'4" and 125#. Yes it is a little close on the back but I moved the Tour Pak back to its rear setting and she has not tried it that way yet. SHE would not get on a Honda to test ride it. Her quote, "looks like a space ship and its not american".

Old 12-21-2007, 05:52 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

VStar, I'd like to point out that you're not likely to get too objective a response on this forum. Not a dig, but it *is* a Harley forum and a lot of Harley folks area dyed-in-the-wool lifetime lovers.

I *love* everything about the 'Wing but ultimately went with the 'Glide because of a few basic things.

1 - the Goldwing is a 900lb sport bike under the covers. I would have had the same problem with it that I had with my FJR; I could *not* ride that bike slow.

2 - the Goldwing is actually a tad bit more comfy for those with slightly bigger rumps. Sorry guys - it's true.

3 - the Goldwing has a HUGE appetite for tires and with the shim-n-bucket valves, they are a higher-cost-over-time bike to maintain.

4 - You're looking at two very different rides; the 'Wing while maintaining a comfortable seating position *is* an aggressive bike, power and handling. It's also much quieter and smoother in all circumstances and is an absolute joy to ride. The 'Glide is a more "in the wind" visceral experience and while it can be ridden hard and fast if you choose (and yeah, it'll surprise a lot of folks in handling), the long trail and more relaxed seating provides a more (overall) laid-back, long-road, no-hurry-to-get-there kind of feel.

Both are great bikes and it comes down to preference. The 'Wing will eat tires every 9k miles on a good day, and some shops won't change the tires because they're sissies and won't have the right tools. Just keep that in mind. It uses a sport/touring profile and compound tire, tho' folks have changed to pure touring tires to extend miles. IMO, if you can afford a 'Wing, just budget in for tires and use the right stuff. Otherwise, you're missing out on some of the cornering joy that bike provides.

ORIGINAL: vstarredneck

I'm looking at these 2 different bikes. Price wise the bikes are about the same. The biggest difference I'm concerned about is passenger comfort. My wife is, lets say robust, well rounded.
I'm not looking to bash either bike. I'm looking for a daily commuter (current ride vstar 1100), and one I can take a 1 or 2 day trip on when the urge hits. This is why I'm leaning toward the HD. The passenger comfort is very important.

I've compared the cost: MSRP
Honda GW Ultra Classic
Bike 22099 21225
CB 950 0
heated seat 0 599
Nav system 0 850
Slip on 0 289
Heritage 0 Priceless
23049 23063

Note heat seats and nav add to get a close apple to apple comparison on bikes.

Old 12-21-2007, 05:54 AM
chornbe
Road Master

ORIGINAL: themensh

Why does your Goldwing have a zero next to Nav system?
What is heritage "zero" and then "priceless"? (how does that affect 'passenger comfort'?)
You have your mind set already...so just say so and don't ask a TROLL question.
Or, hey, you could just answer the guy's question and try not to be such a dick about it. Ya know?

Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 AM
chornbe
Road Master

ORIGINAL: 50thStateCycle

I say, if you really have to have an opinion in deciding, GET A LIFE, everyone knows the quirks and quammers of owning a Harley, you know if you buy parts or get servicing done at the dealer you ARE going to pay. You can find many advantages to both which you have done, you can also find many disadvantages, THERE IS NO comparison with the name and sound and culture of a Harley Davidson. If you want a biased opinion try the Goldwing Forum.
What an insulting response. Jeez, just help the guy out with a little OBJECTIVITY, huh? Oh wait... what was I thinking?

Old 12-21-2007, 06:07 AM
BIGDEE
Advanced

The GWs have too much tupperware and not enough soul. The engine sounds like a sewing machine if you can hear it running. Plus, mine has USA in big bold print right across the back of it. I wonder how many GWs would be on the road if they had JAPAN in big bold print right across the back of them.............. Comfort, me and the ole lady can't complain, but, we are both HD folks, not Wingers. Ride on..........

Old 12-21-2007, 06:31 AM
ricks
Intermediate

I have 01 gold wing and 07 road king classic. My wife likes goldwing for 2 up and I like road king for solo. The wing is the best ride for two up if you are large folks like the two of us. The wing's 6 cylinders allow for plenty of power and you can easily pull a motorcycle trailer.

My suggestion is to buy both but maybe one or both should be used. It is amazing how many used bikes are out there with very few miles. Folks buy them and do not really get the bug to use them.

Good Luck
Rick

Old 12-21-2007, 06:45 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Leaving aside all the intangibles about style, soul, etc.,the GW still has two big liabilities for me:

1) the "sit up and beg squirrel" driver's seating position (don't become so fixated on passenger comfort that you lose sight of driver comfort).

2) thevery small amount of trunk and saddlebag space (look carefully at this and you will seewhy most Wings are pulling trailers).

I don't know how you build a bike that big and still have these liabilities. By the way, with a little looking you can find a basic Wing for much less than MSRP.

Old 12-21-2007, 06:51 AM
vstarredneck
Stage II

I failed to be clear; but if you look at the msrp price of the Goldwing it is for the Nav/Comfort package model. So to get as close as comparision on price I tried to spec out the UC as close to the GW as possible. The reason I addedthe Slip on's is because that will be a needed mode to the UC. However, the GW does not have the heritage and soul that a HD has. You can't put a price on that. I don't own a HD, I own a Vstar 1100.

Also, I'm aware I can get a better price than the MSRP; but I thought it was a fair point to start a comparison.

I'm 6'00 250 lb. My wife is about 5'8" and not petite in size.

I appreciate all the responses.

Old 12-21-2007, 07:05 AM
jr_c6
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also tried both before I purchased the Ultra. Both are excellent, but I preferred the sound, feel and options with the Ultra. I like being able to easily remove the tour pack and put on a single seat for more of a Street Glide look/feel. That is not an simple option for the Wing.

I, personally, don't think either bike has a soul... [8D]

Good luck with your decision and ride safe!

Old 12-21-2007, 07:11 AM
Scootr
Road Master

They are two different machines. Both great bikes though.

GW is smooth, comfortable, reliable and an all around great bike. But its not a Harley.

UC is comfotable, reliable, a little rougher around the edges so to speak but a great bike that has soul.

They also put you in different families. I like the HD family! I also recomend trying to ride them both. Rent a UC for the weekend and ride it a lot. If your a Harley rider you will know it.

Quick Reply: GW vs Ultra Classic