Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GW vs Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:42 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: GW vs Ultra Classic

I agree that is a high dollar Gw at the price you posted. Personaly I would not spend the $$$ on the HD or Honda built in gps. You can a much better gps for a lot less and use it in the car/truck.
I had the sam problem. I really liked the GW and the Ultra. Didn't know which way I wanted to go. I borrowed my cousin's Gw for a day. Handle great and had more power than I needed. I then went on a test ride on the 07 Ultra. I rode about 20 miles and stoped a red light. My wife said what are we waitng for lets buy the Ultra. My 07 Ultra is 5 times the bike my 94 tour gluide was.
Do yourself and your wife a favor and test ride both bikes.
jim

Old 12-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ABS, NAV, and CB available on both bikes. More items are standard on the HD. I have both.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:52 PM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I took a Wing out for a 500 mile ride one day with my wife on the back. Then I took an Ultra for a 500 mile ride one day with my wife on the back. As good as the Ultra is, we prefer the Wing.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 PM
hawgwildterry
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

vstarredneck,

After riding various motorcycles for 35 years, I bought my first Harley in 2000. It was a new Heritage Softail Classic that I put almost 50,000 miles on in two years. I sold the Heritage and bought a new 2002 Ultra Classic. I sold the Ultra Classic in October 2005 and it had almost 50,000 miles on it. For me, the Ultra was much better suited for my riding style and the wife preferred it to the Heritage.

I was seriously considering buying a new Ultra Classic, but I had several friends who rode Goldwings and they convinced me to take a test ride. From the moment I sat on the Goldwing, I was sold. The test ride was the decisive factor. As hard as I tried, I could find no fault with the Goldwing. I bought a 2006 Goldwing with everything but[/i] the air bag. Yes, the Goldwing offers an air bag as part of its top tier option package. I have had the Goldwing since April 2006 and use it primarily as my daily commuter. It now has 36,000 miles and going strong with absolutely no problems. I do not see selling it any time soon as I like it that much.

That being said, I missed not having a Harley in my garage. This past October, I found a custom painted ghost flamed 2001 Road King Classic that caught my eye. After pouring a multitude of Margarita’s into my wife, she told me to buy it. So now, I have the best of both worlds and I always keep a full bottle of tequila on hand in case I get another urge to buy something.

As a side note, my wife liked riding on the Ultra but she actually prefers the Goldwing. I have a Corbin solo seat on the RKC but I also have the stock seat and sissy bar. I took my wife for a ride on the RKC and she told me to put the solo seat back on and leave it on. She told me that when we ride…..we ride on the Goldwing.

Bottom line………get what you want.

Old 12-20-2007, 10:23 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said you were worried about passenger comfort. That said the GW has more passenger room than the Ultra. I had an 02 Wing w/backrest and now have a 07 Ultra w/backrest (tourpac all the way back) I wife is kind of small but she says the wing had more room. Also took my father in law for a ride on both.No problem fitting on the wing...VERY tight on the Ultra. The wing was faster and smoother but think the ultra handles much better and much more fun to ride. Wings must have went WAY up in price. I paid $17500 out the door (title, plates, setup, taxes...everything) for my 02.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:28 PM
sanaga
Road Captain

passenger comfort=gold wing.....soul=ultra...

Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 PM
sturgiswilly
Banned

hey dude, maybe you shouldn't be on HD forums if your gonna talk like that. you won't make many friends. maybe someone should throw ya a beating, i would but i'm retarded.

Old 12-20-2007, 11:37 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

YOU RIDE WHAT YOU RIDE AND TO COMPARE AN ULTRA TO A WING IS SILLY. THERE WAS AN ARTICLE IN A PAPER THE OTHER DAY COMPARING THE GW, ULTRA, AND BMW RIDEN BY THREE SEPERATE RIDERS OVER A THREE DAY PERIOD. WHILE ALL THREE RIDERS LIKE THE TECHNOLOGY OF THE BMW ....THEY WOULD ALL STILL BUY THE HARLEY. THE REASON BEHIND THIS DECISION WAS SIMPLE....IT SOUND BETTER, HANDLES ALMOST AS WELL AND THERE ARE FAR MORE DEALERS TO GET PARTS, SERVICE A SENCE OF SECURITY. THE GW WAS LAST AS ALL THREE CALLED IT THE RV. RIDING SOLO OR TWO UP YOU HAVE TO BE BOTH COMFORTABLE AND HANDLINGSHOULD BEYOURMAJOR CONCERN....I BELIEVE IF YOU TEST RIDE THE ULTRA AND THE GW TWO UP THE ANSWER WILL BE CLEAR.

YOU GET MORE GRINS PER MILE ON A HARLEY..EVEN IN THE RAIN...AND YOU REALLY NEVER HAVE TO EXPLAIN OR APOLIGIZE FOR CHOICE OF RIDE.

RIDING JUST AS IN LIFE....IT'SNEVER THE DESTINATION...BUT IT'S ALWAYS ABOUT THE JOURNEY!!

Old 12-20-2007, 11:42 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

now that's pure poetry!!!
ORIGINAL: pab

Remember...."a Honda will get you where you want to go, but when you're on a Harley, you're already where you want to be". SOUL

Old 12-21-2007, 03:27 AM
50thStateCycle
Cruiser

I say, if you really have to have an opinion in deciding, GET A LIFE, everyone knows the quirks and quammers of owning a Harley, you know if you buy parts or get servicing done at the dealer you ARE going to pay. You can find many advantages to both which you have done, you can also find many disadvantages, THERE IS NO comparison with the name and sound and culture of a Harley Davidson. If you want a biased opinion try the Goldwing Forum.

Quick Reply: GW vs Ultra Classic