Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GW vs Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:29 PM
zapps
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GW vs Ultra Classic

I rode a 2001 Goldwing for 61,000 miles and have to say it was a great, reliable bike. I bought a 2008 Ultra Classic Saturday and have to say I LOVE this bike. The rider comfort, for me, is much better. I have way more leg room and can move around more than on the Wing. The are both great bikes, but I prefer the Harley.
Zapps

Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blue Moon

People, a motorcycle is just aform of trasportation

Get over the ego obsession that your decisons, your life, or even your world is better than someone elses because you ride, own, or are paying on any 2 wheeled mode of transportation, much less one that needsflocks of followers toadvanceits doctrine. I mean really, why don't we fight over what brand of toothpastewe use. It is basically the same thing. And,if you answer me with more doctrine, you will prove my point.
a$$hat, go bak to the GW forum and when you cant get parts for your metric in 10 years go buy another throw away bike. I still can go into a Harley dealer and buyparts for my 58 Panhead. Go to Honda and try to get parts for 76 Goldwing............NOT.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 AM
62trvler
Tourer

I believe the HD Forum is for HD owners and enthusiast. To come here and say that we are biased towards other brands may or may not be true but were here to talk HD and nothing else. If we do comment negatively on other brands what did you expect? I personally ride all brands but come here to talk HD and don't get my feelings hurt when a negative comment comes up on others I own. I ride my HD's more than the others for the fact I enjoy it the most. If I want to go do some high speed stuff I take the others. You'll never see me going to the Honda or Kaw or Yam forums and start a MY FEELINGS ARE HURT CAUSE I HAVE HD ENVY post.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:24 AM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: troutbum1971

My cousin ride a GW, and I give him S**T, I ride an Ultra and he gives me S**T. It's all good he has a great 06. It's a very nice bike, but I like mine better, can't beat the HD tradition.
Please elaborate on how the "HD tradition" affects the ride.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MrHd1

My good riding buddy has an '06 GW and we regularlygive each other loads of crap. I just tell him he rides a TWC (two wheeled car).
Speaking in terms of refinement, you're absolutely right.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:02 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: The Old Man

My buddie had an 01 and we were discussing the engine heat issues. He said GW have it too! and in spades...when you are stuck in traffic and its hot out and the TWO big fans come on for the TWO radiators guess where the heat goes!!
Serious case of HD-rationalization going on here.

1) I don't have to guess where the heat goes - I own one. The heat from a stationary Wing goes OUT THE FRONT OF THE BIKE, away from the rider. It's a nice touch, and your HD will just sit there and grill your inner thigh in that traffic. You actually think that's a *good thing*, something that puts HD ahead of a Wing? Absurd.

2) "GW" do NOT have "heat issues". Years ago there were some, but not anymore. ANY engine makes heat, it's a by-product of internal combustion - everyone knows that. But if you're "stuck in traffic", at least the Wing HAS fans to get rid of it, as opposed to the HD, which has no choice but to sit there and cook itself to oblivion, unless the "parade fan" is installed. To even suggest that heat from a Goldwing engine is even REMOTELY as objectionable as that of a stationary HD idling is absurd.

SHE would not get on a Honda to test ride it. Her quote, "looks like a space ship and its not american".
Translation: "SHE" understands you're biased towards HD, and she also recognizes that once she gets on a Wing, she'll never want to get back on the HD again. Solution: Don't try riding on the Goldwing.

The ride on the back of a Goldwing is so superior to that on a HD it's not even a contest.

(Pssssssssssst - BTW, I also own a '08 HD Ultra Classic which I ride whenever I need some "soul")

Old 04-24-2008, 08:09 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Uncle Scrooge

Leaving aside all the intangibles about style, soul, etc.,the GW still has two big liabilities for me:

1) the "sit up and beg squirrel" driver's seating position (don't become so fixated on passenger comfort that you lose sight of driver comfort).

2) thevery small amount of trunk and saddlebag space (look carefully at this and you will seewhy most Wings are pulling trailers).

I don't know how you build a bike that big and still have these liabilities. By the way, with a little looking you can find a basic Wing for much less than MSRP.
I own both, and I'll tell you what, driver/passenger comfort are somewhat subjective in terms of ergonomics, but you're just wrong about trunk/saddlebag space. My Ultra Classic has nowhere near the carrying capacity my Goldwing does. I go to the grocery store on the Wing rather than the HD for precisely that reason.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:20 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Gutman

The hardest part about owning a Honda would be telling your parents your gay.
Take my advice: Don't embarrass yourself any further.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:23 AM
racklefratz
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Geoff

What's up with the stuffed toys strapped to the back of Wings?
Dunno', but my guess would be it's pretty much the same thing as the ones you see on the back of the Ultras out there.

Old 04-24-2008, 08:27 AM
chesterbud
Cruiser

You've generated a lot of input on this topic and I'll add my opinion.
Last year I too went through the decision you are wrestling with. I've had 2 Wings in the past and found them to be excellent bikes but I always found them a little boring...like riding a big electric motor. In comparing the UC to the new Wing I find that I sat on a Wing but in an UC. I felt more like a rider on the UC and I like the feel of the big V-Twin engine. I also found that I can't move my feet around on the Wing nearly as much as I can on the UC and I love the handling on the UC. My wife thought she would like the size of the passenger compartment on the Wing better but after several thousand miles on the back of the UC she has no complaints. She is not a large lady. I did change the seat because I found the stock seat painful.

Like others have said the HD has soul that can't be explained or matched on other bikes. Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: GW vs Ultra Classic