Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GW vs Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 07:41 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GW vs Ultra Classic

ORIGINAL: iclick

Are you under the impression you will experience a higher probability of getting to your destination on a GW over an HD? How many HD's have you seen on the road, stranded and needing repair?
Not many of either, these days, as you note, but, since you do ask, I've seen a whole lot more HD bikes on the side of the road broken down than any other make.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:47 PM
Lord Albany
Road Captain

Unless you want to emulate the Talibitches I'd avoid the GW.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=9605752

Old 04-18-2008, 08:57 PM
Mr D
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Both are great motorcycles, I have had HD since 1966, mainly touring, but some soft tails in there.
Last year I has totally upset with the MoCo, reason early 2006 FLHTCUSE, would not run, many different injectors and service appointments, I was told-- we know we have a "problem" and we can fix it eith a sert, pipes, and dyno==$1800.00 after spending $32000.00 on bike, I was hot!!
Sold it with 425 miles on it, was not going to give thesatisfaction to drop more$$ to make that problem go away.
I bought a brand new 2007 GW, with nav and all options, Great bike!! Plenty of power, comfort,, NO PERSONALITY!! BORING!!
After 500 miles experienced a front end shimmy!! Went dealer,, oh yeah,, we know all about it! We can fix it by changing the bearings in the neck to " All *****"===$450.00 Honda will not stand behind it,, check out the GW forums,, biggest complaint on there,,, FRONT END SHIMMY!!!
Bottom line,,, SOLD GW!
Bough new 2007FLHTCUSE2 , SERT, Hi Flow, slip ons==HEAVEN!!
BEST BIKE I HAVE EVER OWNED, cost alot of $$$$ to figure out----
NOTHING EQUALS HARLEY DAVIDSON MOTORCYCLES!!
Sorry for such a long story, but anyone that thinks Honda does not any issues---- Check the GWRIDERS FORUM and see all the problems,, Ride safe and God Bless

Old 04-18-2008, 09:37 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: racklefratz

Not many of either, these days, as you note, but, since you do ask, I've seen a whole lot more HD bikes on the side of the road broken down than any other make.
My experience is very different. I've seen few of any MC brand stranded because of mechanical problems. Keep in mind that there are more HD street bikes on the road than other makes. HD could have a lower frequency of repair record throughout the product line and you might still see more HD's with problems.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:41 PM
rborsholm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My neighbor has a wing. When he goes to Wing rallies, he comes back and says "I see old people".. When I go to rallies, I see all ages on the Ultra's. When I ride my neighbor's wing, it feels like a sofa. My Ultra still feels like a Harley. Enough said..

Old 04-18-2008, 10:22 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

UltraGlides rock! Goldwings, not so much.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: recross

Hey Rose..that's why I had suggested a soft sided cooler...my wife carry's one behind her and it kinda molds to the back of the back rest without crowding it.....bC
I want something hard sided....I own about 5 "thermal bags" you can't place ice in any of them without them leaking. On the road I can't always freeze a cooling block...Ice is very easy to find. I live some place where 100 + in the summer can heat the thermal bags very efficiently without something to cool the inside.

Sort of disappointed this chest does not fit because it was perfect.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:19 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I had an 05 Wing.Very fast, handled great............I hated it.
It takes 2 hrs just to get down to the air filter, no metal you can touch without removing plastic.
On the other hand, passenger comfort and room are excellent but you will hate it if you have a cruiser style bike now, and even more if you are over 6' tall.
I bought an Ultra Classic and a George Anderson relocator kit for the tour pack and she is happy.
The Ultra has better storage too, less sq. inches but more useable.

Mark

Old 04-20-2008, 02:26 PM
eze86
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been riding bikes for years and have owned every type of Japanese bike and always wanted a Harley. The metrics worked well and had very few problems but they only offered transportation.

I bought my first Harley in 2005 a RK custom and loved the bike. Then I bought an 07 Ultra had some problems and traded to an 08 Ultra. This bike has exceeded all of my expectations and I love it. But the real difference between the Harley and the Metric bikes is the dealership and the dealer network.

The Harley owners group and the dealers are an invaluable asset when you are on theroad. The service you get when you pull into a town with even a minor problemis unbelievable. The MOCO has set a standard for the dealersthat puts thecustomer on a road trip at the top of the list.I have seen as well as experienced service at theHarley shop that is not available anywhere else.

I love my bikesand I believe in the Harley dealer network. The confidence that I have allows me to enjoy my trips much more because I know that I will receive the same level of service get at home no matter where I am.

Later......

Old 04-20-2008, 02:37 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

Test ride both and you decide which one is best for you. I say HD is the only way.

Quick Reply: GW vs Ultra Classic