Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GW vs Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Thunderchild
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GW vs Ultra Classic

pulled up at a restaurant, got off and walked in...sat down and somebody askes...."is that a Harley?" and Iproudly say "yes."
this has happened several times.
not once have i ever been asked..."is that a Gold Wing?"

when youre on a Harley....you cant arrive on the wrong bike.

i got it because i wanted a motorcycle....not a two wheeled car.

one more thing....whats the deal with wanting to go so much faster......the way i see it, the longer it takes me to get somewhere, the more people get to see my Harley....LOL!!!

Old 12-25-2007, 09:30 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow, i'm tired now.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:28 PM
Blue Moon
Stage IV

pulled up at a restaurant, got off and walked in...sat down and somebody askes...."is that a Harley?" and Iproudly say "no."
this has happened several times because most ignorant people thinkall bikes are Harleys. That is great marketingnotgreat machine.

when youre on a Honda....you arrive.

i got it because i wanted a motorcycle that i could ride that did not spend time on a trailer or time being fixed.

one more thing....whats the deal with wantinga Harley......the way i see it, the better a bike is it, the better chance I will get to where I am going.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:03 PM
rapz
Road Captain

I think the GW is a great bike and I've always told my wife I'm getting one as soon as I reach a certain age...I'm only 60 so I have a ways to go. Get what you want, like, etc. I ride with lots of GW, Honda ST, BMW and Harley guys...nobody cares what the other rides. We have fun and at the end of the day when we park the bikes for the night we drink lots of beer. IMHO don't waste too much time thinking instead of riding.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Bluerose

So I wonder if this person bough a bike? They posted back in December and only twice. Maybe they went goldwing?

Now that I have had both bikes in my garage for about a month:

CostMSRP:
Honda GW Ultra Classic
Bike 22099 21225 -- Actaully paid about 19,500 for the GW (comfort/navi/ABS)
CB 950 0 -- Yes stupidly expensive on the GW
heated seat 0599 -- not worth it really on the GW you can barely feel it. And seat sucks.
Nav system0 850 -- Buy a Zumo (cheaper)...the GW Navi sucks
I can't even share routes with him and they are both Garmin.
Slip on 0 289 --??
Heritage 0 Priceless
23049 23063

Heat on '08 Harley vs. '08 GW...the GW wins by a mile.Hubby can't feel a bit of heat.

Buying parts? Hubby has the GW ...he been having some real problems figuring out seating (the stock seat reallllly sucks) and highway pegs/flooe boards. due to the lean angles everything scrapes and you have to be really careful where you put things. First things you hear about a Harley is to change out pipes and such to curb the heat. First thing you hear about a Goldwing is to change out the suspension? Hubby wants noise too and is already looking at pipes that will make him just a bit noisier.

Financing through Honda heads and sholders above eaglemark bank. Got a great APR.....They are actually polite when I call them.

GW is a very nice bike...smooth around corners...lots of gadgets....but not the right bike for me.

The laugh I got from the guy riding by on a bicycle telling Hubby he should be riding the Harley and not me....priceless.

Honestly, they both have thier pluses and minuses...buy what makes you happy.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:14 PM
crash1292
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

slip ons must be mufflers.....
my ultra is back together and is better than it ever was new

Old 04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
myglide
Tourer

Both of you sit on each bike together and see which one fits you best. You can't go wrong with either bike.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:50 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

I'm not on a Wing now or a Harley but when I was looking I rented a Wing for a day and my local dealer (whom I've known for years) let me take his Ultra for a weekend. While I really liked the Ultra I got the Wing for the following reasons...My wife is 6'1 and just had alot more room on the Wing. The Ultra was very nice but the rear seat on the Wing is just bigger. She hated the heat off the Ultra (I know if can be fixed but you shouldn't have to). Power, well night and day (again I know it can be fixed to some extent but the Wing is very strong). The Wing has ALOT of plastic and is a bitch to work on (but requires almost no upkeep..mine had 37,000 miles with one set of plugs, one air filter and checked the valves once...still had the original brake pads still in spec). The Ultra is well a Harley and if the classic looks and sound sings to you then that is the bike to have. Both very good bikes in their own right. All boils down to the things that you are looking for and what is important to you.

Gary
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-18-2008, 03:06 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have an 03 Ultra and love it! My wife is 6' tall and found the back seating a little cramped so we put the Kuryakyn trunk relocater on which moved the tour pak back about 2". I rode many imported bikes since 1970 and got my first HD, a 77 FLH, in 1980 and fell in love with Harleys. I would never own anything else. Wife now rides a RK so we have two bikes right now. The wings are nice, although very carlike, but they have no soul.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:18 PM
GaryWayne
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: mike_oh

Have an 03 Ultra and love it! My wife is 6' tall and found the back seating a little cramped so we put the Kuryakyn trunk relocater on which moved the tour pak back about 2". I rode many imported bikes since 1970 and got my first HD, a 77 FLH, in 1980 and fell in love with Harleys. I would never own anything else. Wife now rides a RK so we have two bikes right now. The wings are nice, although very carlike, but they have no soul.
You are right, the Wing is very car like. As to soul ,well been riding 40 years, 29 bikes and 3 Harleys and I've never understood the soul thing although I know a lot do. Truth is I would have been happy with the Ultra but I decided I didn't want to spend that much for a bike and have to spend more to make it perform like I wanted (sort of a power junkie) and to cool it down. Plus I liked the looks of the Wing and it fit me great. I don't think its fair to compare the power of the 2 though. The Wing is a 6...it should run better than a 2 cylinder. The Wing doesn't fit everyone though and there isn't much room to move things around like you can on the Ultra. Heck, I can't even ride a cruiser anymore due to some lower back surgery, the upright sitting position kills me (can't even ride a Wing anymore) and am now on a FJR (about my 10th sport/touring bike). If I could ride anything I wanted and had the money I'd need a big garage as there are alot of bikes out there I like (love to have another FXLR)....only bike I've ever owned that I wish I had hung onto..

Gary

Quick Reply: GW vs Ultra Classic