Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distortion from Sony Radio and HogTunes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 PM
ponesma
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distortion from Sony Radio and HogTunes

I have a set ofHogTune front speakers for my 2004 Road Glide. The dealer installed these a little over a year ago and they sounded great with the stock radio. I just swapped out my stock radio for a Sony GT510 radio, and I have a biketronics kit to keep my hand controls. The speakers sound great in the garage and at low speed and volume, but whenthe volumegetsa bit higher it really sounds distorted. Has anyone one else experianced this with my combination?Should I not be using these speakers with that radio? I know if I would have bought the whole kit from biketronics it would have included HogTune speakers so I am not sure why I would be having this issue. I notice it mostly when the volume gets to about 26-28 on the radio. It soundsdoes it both on CD's andRadio Stations so Iam guessing it is related tomy sound settings of the speakers. Right now I have my EX set to XPLOD and the DS(sp) set to OFF.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 12-20-2007, 03:55 PM
ponesma
Cruiser
Default RE: Distortion from Sony Radio and HogTunes

Quick update, I have no amp. Just the Sony Radio and the HogTune speakers. I have emailed PEZ from Hogtunes and the Biketronics guys, but I know with the Holidays I might not see a reponse for a week or so. No big deal I just figured I would check with some of you guys to see if this is common?

Thanks,

Old 12-20-2007, 04:40 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

i have a sony radio and biketronics kit with j&m speakers. no distortion on most tracks at any volume and some minor distortion on heavy base tracks at max volume only but i never need full volume even at 70+. is your deck and speakers matched for ohms? people generally seem to be pretty happy with the hogtunes....

Old 12-20-2007, 05:14 PM
PEZ
Tourer

Hey Ponesma

Dude--I donot recall seeing your email cause I would have answered it for sure!

Call me Friday (EST) at 705-719-6361 and we will get to the bottom of the issue--PEZ

Old 12-20-2007, 05:49 PM
gene01
Road Captain

hmmmm, I bet the Sony radio has a 4 ohm speaker requirement and the factory Harmon Kardin is 2 ohms...

Old 12-20-2007, 05:59 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: gene01

hmmmm, I bet the Sony radio has a 4 ohm speaker requirement and the factory Harmon Kardin is 2 ohms...
Thats what I'm thinking.......

Old 12-20-2007, 06:16 PM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think so cuz the factory 2 ohm thing didn't start until '06 and his bike is an '04. Must be somethin else...... unless he ordered the wrong speakers.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:26 PM
ponesma
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: davewear

i have a sony radio and biketronics kit with j&m speakers. no distortion on most tracks at any volume and some minor distortion on heavy base tracks at max volume only but i never need full volume even at 70+. is your deck and speakers matched for ohms? people generally seem to be pretty happy with the hogtunes....
Guys I was thining the same thing. The specs for the radio say that it puts out 4 ohms for the speakers.

http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/headunits/CDX-GT510

Looking at the HogTunes website it looks like they are listed at 5.75 ohms, I assume they are correct. The dealer installed them, but it looks like there is only one version for the front of a pre-06 (HK)Road Glide.

Should these speakers be able to handle the load from this radio?

Old 12-20-2007, 06:32 PM
ponesma
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: PEZ

Hey Ponesma

Dude--I donot recall seeing your email cause I would have answered it for sure!

Call me Friday (EST) at 705-719-6361 and we will get to the bottom of the issue--PEZ
PEZ, I will definetly call you tomorrow (Friday). I emailed mailtoinfo@hogtunes.com on 12/18 at about 2:25 CST, but it is no big deal. We have like a foot of snow in noirthern Illinois so it was no big hurry. Plus I figured you guys might be off for the Holidays. I figured I would just ping some people here. I really dont know much about how this all works, but I figured I was OK since BikeTronics sells this exact kit. I just happened to already have the speakers so I just bought the Radio and Hand Control kit.

These speakers sound amazing in my garage with the volume up justa but, but once it gets about 26-28 clicks on the radio it sounds very distorted. I am not sure if Ineed to adjust the radio or if there is an issue with the speakers. We will talk tomorrow.

I appreciate everyones comments. Is there anyone else with the same setupthat can tell me if they can get to 28 clicks and not have any issues.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:03 PM
PEZ
Tourer

Hey Mike

Its all good! Sometime in 04, HD changed the RG grills to correct a protrusion that would hit the speakers surround. IIf you have the older style grills, in time, the speakers surround (yes any speaker) would wear through. I think that maybe whats happenned here. Ill take care of it for you, but if this is the case, Ill get you to file the protrusion down so it dont happen again

The Sony radio is happy as a clam with our speakers........

TTY on Friday--Ill be available after about 8:30 am EST

Later eh--PEZ

Quick Reply: Distortion from Sony Radio and HogTunes