Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007 | 12:18 PM
btefft
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?

I was reading another thread and it occured to me that some riders decide whether or not to go an long. long ride (say, more the 500 miles) based on if they can get others to ride with them. I'm happy to take off on my own, and wouldn't cancel a trip because others couldn't go with me. Sure, I put the word out, but if no one can go, I don't hesitate to go it alone. However, for peace of mind, I also have the RV package with AAA, that includes motorcycles.

When I say group, I'm thinking of a small group, 2-6 riders, not a huge mega group like a toy run.

Hack

Old 12-20-2007 | 12:22 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: Solo rider or Group rider, preference?

There's advantages to both. I do a lot of my riding solo and enjoy the freedom of going where I want, whenI want and stopping when I want. And if halfway into the ride I decide to go some placedifferent, I go. But it's also nice riding with one or two friends. I also do HOG chapter rides and those I only do once in a while because it gets a little too structured for me. But they are still fun rides, just different.

Old 12-20-2007 | 12:52 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior

Solo rider (with wife) nearly all the time. We have a few friends that we ride with a couple times a year for a more local ride or our annual trip to Sturgis. Don't like big group rides at all mostly because too many riders don't know or understand the ediquitte or rules that should be followed in large group rides and it can at the very least get uncomfortable, and at worst get dangerous. In the mid-90s I was on a Yamaha Royal Star and rode with a local Gold Wing (GWRRA) chapter, they made it a point to teach group riding techniques regularly and everyone learned their place and what was expected of them. It just appears to me that, at least here locally, the Harley clubs never teach their members the dos and don'ts of group riding. Maybe most Harley riders are just too independent to conform to group rules

Old 12-20-2007 | 12:59 PM
alexcue
Road Master

ORIGINAL: petemac

There's advantages to both. I do a lot of my riding solo and enjoy the freedom of going where I want, whenI want and stopping when I want. And if halfway into the ride I decide to go some placedifferent, I go. But it's also nice riding with one or two friends. I also do HOG chapter rides and those I only do once in a while because it gets a little too structured for me. But they are still fun rides, just different.
agree with Petemac 100%, it really depends and I have no trouble doing both.

Having said that on real long trips i enjoy just a few bikes or solo(w/wife). It makes stops quicker and easier.

I've got the issue now of planning my Milwaukee 105th trip. Some guys are taking 3 weeks and I'm only taking 2 weeks. I've planned my route as a solo going, and group coming back, but we shall see how it all shakes out.

Old 12-20-2007 | 01:11 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I do most of my riding solo... The Sturgis trip I am planning for this year looks like six people right now.. In reality it will probably be three or four. I like the smaller group for that trip. If something happens there's somebody there to help out right away. I think I'd do the trip solo, but I would rather have a friend along to share the experience / memories with.

Old 12-20-2007 | 01:13 PM
chornbe
Road Master

The poll is too generic. I ride solo often, but when I do ride group, it's *only* with a small group of friends with whom I've been riding for a while and we're all like-minded riders, regardless of what we ride.

Old 12-20-2007 | 01:14 PM
slojoh
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: chornbe

The poll is too generic. I ride solo often, but when I do ride group, it's *only* with a small group of friends with whom I've been riding for a while and we're all like-minded riders, regardless of what we ride.
I agree!!

Old 12-20-2007 | 01:23 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

I typically ride solo, but once in a while I'll join a group on a poker run.

Old 12-20-2007 | 01:35 PM
White Knight 04
Road Master

I agree I only ride most of the times with a small group the rides the same as I do.....I lead most of the time and have a meeting before we ride to discuss where and how we will be riding....If a new rider join's our group I explain how we ride and to keep the stager in the group....Everyone seems to enjoy themselfs and so far having had some 500, or around there rides they have been uneventful in the accident dept. hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot by commenting about the safety we have had.. Jer

Old 12-20-2007 | 02:21 PM
hotpursuit
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: chornbe

agree.... 90% of time i run solo... went to georgia this sumer solo, great time... went to vermont/new hampshire this fall with a few friends, good time... i am picky as to who i ride with, groups of people i dont know, ill stick to the rear... in the end i just Ride!

Quick Reply: Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?