Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007 | 04:56 AM
chornbe
Road Master
Default RE: Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?

ORIGINAL: Scaryfast

I always thought I was the lone wolf, preferring long, solitary rides. There's nothing like charting your own path and setting your own pace. But when I look back at all my multi-day trips, the ones with companions provide the best memories. And making good memories is what life is about.
I found something quite the opposite for myself on a trip last year. I'm always running off for day rides or weekend/long-weekend rides with my buddies, but last year I decided to ride down to Orlando to spend some time with the family at Disney, then ditch them there and go enjoy a few days riding alone, then meeting up with them back home about a week and a half later.

Those 3 days I took to meander home, including 2 days riding the BRP end to end remain some of my greatest riding memories to date (until the x-country ride in '08 of course!)

http://chornbe.com/motorcycles/rides/brptrip/

Old 12-21-2007 | 06:16 AM
KraZeeInOhio
Advanced

I voted "it doesn't matter". This year I did two long (1,000+ miles) trips with others, one with one friend and the other with four friends but my 3-1/2 week trip to San Diego was solo. I enjoy both equally because all long trips, with friends or solo, are structured the same: no firm routes, no daily mileage requirements, no reservations, only firm dates are when we leave and when we have to be back.

Old 12-21-2007 | 06:27 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member

I like solo but i do find a wife or two thats ready to ride and away we go.

Old 12-21-2007 | 08:27 AM
stimul8ing guy
Road Captain

I ride with a group of riders that we socialize with, ride with the wives or just as guys...we're all very compatible so just the guys or with the spouses is great for me. We guys usually do a coupla of long rides each year when we all get a break from everyday life! On occasion the wife and i will take off for a day ride and find it's just a great time to reconnect!

Old 12-21-2007 | 08:48 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I ride solo and with small groups with equal enjoyment, however my solo riding usually always includes my wife.

I have ridden with small groups of froums members that I have met here, and I have really enjoyed them. Some have become very good friends that I HAVE to see at least a few times a year.

Bill

Old 12-21-2007 | 09:01 PM
btefft
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Riding with some fellow Forum members, that would be cool. But haven't met anyone, in person, in this neck of the woods.

Hack

ORIGINAL: billnourse

I ride solo and with small groups with equal enjoyment, however my solo riding usually always includes my wife.

I have ridden with small groups of froums members that I have met here, and I have really enjoyed them. Some have become very good friends that I HAVE to see at least a few times a year.

Bill

Old 12-22-2007 | 06:24 AM
HogBack
Road Master

I am remote to most rides/riders, so I go it alone 90% of the time. Seems life and familyhave many requests for my time, but in the past 6 months I have done about 10,000 miles, and had to get that donewhen I have no obligations to be at.

I do not say much, but if I ride with a rider/group that are not considerate, I just avoid them in the future... like riderswho are never ready to pull out, take hours to do anything, forget to get gas...you know the kind.... Good rides are enjoyable if you have a good rider/friend to enjoy it with....

Later

Hogback

Old 12-22-2007 | 09:25 AM
vindyl
Road Master

I enjoy riding solo or in a group. I belong to a local club and I really enjoy the show of riding with 30 - 50 bikes its so cool ,but only once in awhile.We have a memorial ride every year for a buddy who was killed by a F#*KING drunk driver and there is always 200 bikes or so now thats is a wild ride to say the least.

Old 12-22-2007 | 04:22 PM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

I like riding in groups no bigger than five or six because of the obvious reasons. I ride with my dad, brothers most of the time.

Old 12-22-2007 | 05:23 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

I like two ridewithfreinds. I know who can ride aMotorcycle
with others around them .
IfI ridein a large group. I like two ride last or near last as seen to many riders change laneswith out looking or some fool ride up themiddle flat out.

Quick Reply: Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?