Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007 | 06:41 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Solo rider or Group rider, preference?

Solo here, ormaybe 1 or 2 more bikes for any long trip(over night). The only time I`ll ride with a large group is a toy run etc. I`ve found large group runs seem to get really dangerous really quick. Always seems to be a show off or a clown to spoil the event.[:@]

Old 12-20-2007 | 06:55 PM
btefft
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Some said the poll is too generic. I intended it to mean a small group, 2 - 6 riders. I never meant to to be a mega group. Jeez, I thought you'll would know that. How in the world are you gonna get 20-30 riders for a long, long trip? By long trip I mean in excess of 500 miles.

Hack

Old 12-20-2007 | 06:57 PM
ezlife
Road Master

ORIGINAL: SMUNDORF

I agree with the term "group" being to generic. I like to ride in a group of 2-6 bikes the best. I ride solo a lot but more and more enjoy heading out to meet up with a few other bikes to ride.I also do large organized rides for charity events etc. If the group is to large it get old quick but can still be a lot of fun to meet new people. On a trip it is nice to ride with just a few riders that you know well. There more you ride with someone the more you start to think alike and know each others capabilties etc.
Same here on groups.

Although alot solo to from work and alot of 2-up with Blondie after that.

Old 12-20-2007 | 07:28 PM
BillinNY
Tourer
Default RE: Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?

Preference is a small group of friends that I ride with regularly...but...like what happened this summer...everyone bagged out on me so I went solo. Not a big ride, 950 miles in a 3 day weekend, I have a cell phone & AAA RV+ roadside service. I'm glad I went & would do it solo again in a heart beat.

Old 12-20-2007 | 07:50 PM
Keener
Tourer

I have had a blast on both solo & small group rides. If in a group I prefer to ride with maybe 3 others tops. Otherwise we are always waiting for somebody to buy a pack of smokes, fill up their tank, or whatever. With just a few in the group is is just easier to manage, stagger your riders, and keep close.

Old 12-20-2007 | 07:59 PM
troutbum1971
Banned

I ride 2 up with 3 friends who ride 2 up. Or Solo, but us boys get out with out the wives every now and then. Also ride everyday there is no ice on the road, so that counts as solo, I guess.

Old 12-20-2007 | 08:35 PM
Splatter
Road Master

This is a funny wrinkle in my personality... I like people, but when I ride, I ride alone. You can ride near me if you want, but you'll never ride with me.

When I'm riding I don't want to talk, I don't want to point at the scenic wonders, I don't care if you have to find a rest room or need gas. Once I get where I'm going and I've parked the bike, if I meet you there, I'll be happy and be your best friend until I swing my leg over the bike again.

I don't understand it about myself, but I know it to be true.

Old 12-20-2007 | 10:04 PM
Scaryfast
Intermediate

I always thought I was the lone wolf, preferring long, solitary rides. There's nothing like charting your own path and setting your own pace. But when I look back at all my multi-day trips, the ones with companions provide the best memories. And making good memories is what life is about.

Old 12-20-2007 | 10:10 PM
billhd1
Advanced

I ride solo most of the time. I am however looking for anyone who would like to ride to Colorado this May and then meet up with another guy and then ride to the coast (PCH) and then up to Ore-Wash line and then over to Idaho and then back to Col for a pig roast and then home. 4-5 weeks--camping and motels and private homes. This will be my third time going across and each time prior was a blast.

Old 12-20-2007 | 10:22 PM
Joe Mark
Tourer

Years ago in the GWRRA Chapter, we rode in groups of 10 - 15, had a good time, very safe group. Mostly long weekend trips. Now days, I ride solo or with 2 other guys that I have known and have been riding with for about 15 years now...... we know how each of us rides and reacts etc.. Solo to small group only.

Quick Reply: Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?