Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007 | 02:29 PM
mvinc01
Road Master
Default RE: Solo rider or Group rider, preference?

I ride solo every day to work. So I enjoy the oporotunities to get together with my buddies on the weekend and tear up 200-400 miles on a Sat. day ride up north or down south. Our group is always open to a new rider if one of us wants to bring someone in.However, 90% of the time, we ride together with the same 6 or 7bikes. Been riding together regularily for a little while. I'm the latest one to the group at about two years.We all pretty muchknow each others habbits, riding abilities (again, I think I'm the rookie here too, and I've been riding 7 years), style, etc.

That being said, sometimes I get the itch and gotta get out, whether my buddies can or not.

So, since there's no "both" answer, I voted the last answer. Fine either way.

Old 12-20-2007 | 02:33 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member

Mostly solo or two up with the wife. Much more relaxing, stop when and where you wish. Good quiet time to be with the one you love and enjoy the scenery.

Old 12-20-2007 | 03:10 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

Prefer solo but do ride in a small group of very experienced riders on Wednesdays. Trips, it's hard to say, there is a lot said for going solo, but it can get lonesome sometimes. Guess I would prefer no more than 3 others guys that I get along well with.

Never, Never would again ride in one of those large toy runs, charity runs, etc. Just don't know the skill level or attitude of thoseall around you.And that is downright dangerous!

Old 12-20-2007 | 03:34 PM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

Usually ride alone, 1 bike, only me on it. Take friend once in a while. Done a couple trips alone. Probably has a lot to with me being a *****. Actually,I'm a manager, single parent and home ownerwho likes tojust jump on and ride until some obligation stops me.
I have one friend who's been riding for years andwill always ride when possible. He rode my first bike home because I didn't know how to ride. Trouble is his wife. She always has to ride with him, she alwaysleads, and you can't take your eyes off her because she will stop in the middle ofnowhere for reasons only she knows. The last 4 times we rode,she cut into me (didn't I see her indicator?), her husband clipped her (didn't you see the brake lights?), and the last time he clipped her left mirror and I clipped her right mirrorwhen shelocked them up because a turtle was crossing the road (2 second rule guys!!). If we pull back to get some breathing room she slows down. Takes all the fun out of riding so I dind't ride with them all year.

Old 12-20-2007 | 04:10 PM
Bluerose

Never really think about it...

I have been known to take off on my own on odd days, I ride to work and back alone....I like it.
I do a LOT of riding in a pair with Hubby...I like that too.
Now and again I go on H.O.G. Group rides and I put together the Pacific Rally...I liked that too...[&:]

I would say if I have to pick I tend to want to ride more with Hubby...we wonder around where ever we please and have a great time. Now if I can get him a CB I can tell him when I have to stop by the power room [8D]

Old 12-20-2007 | 04:14 PM
rome304
Road Warrior

solo 90% of the time.

Old 12-20-2007 | 04:43 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member

I perfer riding in very select group (2 - 8 bikes) on any longer rides - We all normally take our vacations around the same time and all ride alike (***** to the wall and stop for gas) - Did the RUN TO THE WALL a couple of times you talk about group riding.... Well after a day of two we would break away for a few hundred miles and catch back up with the group twords the end of the days ride...

Old 12-20-2007 | 05:25 PM
streetglider32
2nd Gear

I prefer solo or 2-3 close friends.MOST of my close calls have been in a group.

Old 12-20-2007 | 06:05 PM
Scootr
Road Master

I agree with the term "group" being to generic. I like to ride in a group of 2-6 bikes the best. I ride solo a lot but more and more enjoy heading out to meet up with a few other bikes to ride.I also do large organized rides for charity events etc. If the group is to large it get old quick but can still be a lot of fun to meet new people. On a trip it is nice to ride with just a few riders that you know well. There more you ride with someone the more you start to think alike and know each others capabilties etc.

Old 12-20-2007 | 06:09 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

I hate riding in groups you almost always endup with a couple of show offs thatendanger everyone around them or some boob that should be home riding his bike around the block a few hundred more times so he is at least proficient in running the throttle , clutch and shifter.
I usually let the group go andthen follow alone behind.

Quick Reply: Solo rider or like a small group for a LONG ride, preference?