Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear pulley broke, 08 RG!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:40 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rear pulley broke, 08 RG!!

Went for my usuall "victory" lap around the neighborhood after watching the Packers whip-up on the Rams Sunday. When I was pulling into my driveway I heard a "pop" and thought I ran over something. I parked the bike in the garage and started looking under it to try to see what I hit. Thats when I saw the ring hanging around the left side of my rear wheel and my rear drive belt half way off the rear pulley, to the inside. Looking at it closer there is a "guide lip" on the inner side and outer side of the rear pully. This "guide lip" is actually a ring pressed on each side of the pully to keep the belt centered on the pulley.
So I called my local dealer where I bought the bike. They say don't ride it, we will come get it.
So they picked it up last night and I am waiting to hear what they found as to the cause and when I will get the bike back.

Any speculation as to what happened? I figure it was just a defective part or there is a alignment issue. The bike has 2500 miles on it. No visual ware on the pulley or belt, belt has proper tension. I did notice that if I pushed the belt back on the pulley and rotated the rear wheel the belt would move back to the right as to come off the inside of the pulley. This makes me thing alignment.

Thanks,
Doug

PS: Capital City HD in Tallahassee is an excellent dealership that stands behind thier customers.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 AM
monza66mo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear pulley broke, 08 RG!!

I know exactly what happened!

(the gremlins are Rams fans)

Old 12-20-2007, 07:50 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep! That's an alignment problem. Old belt check........After you align the rear wheel put the bike on the ground. Measure the gap between the edge of the belt & the rib on the pulley. Roll the bike forward a few feet, measure the gaps again. Roll the bike backwards at least twice the distance your rolled it forward. Measure the gaps again. The gap should be the same at every measurement. If it's not, you have an alignment problem. Another simple check is to make sure the bike doesn't roll backwards after coming to a stop. Simply check to be sure there's some gap on both sides.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Shoverler
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get an IDS Isolated Drive System pulley if it doesn't all ready come with it on 08's.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:12 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That's your punishment for rooting against the Rams !!!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:37 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

That concerns me because your rear pulley is an IDS...
Great...another thing to look out for.

lp

Old 12-20-2007, 09:35 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

If I remember correctly the '07's have a cam aligning featurethat automatically aligns the rear axle while you are tightening the belt tension. Aren't the '08's the same? You'd have to really go out of your way to misalign an '07 rear axle.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:37 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Just to make sure I understand your post. The rear pully didn't "break" (fracture), the drive belt actually came off the IDS pulley.

Yes?
No?
Other?

Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

I'm surprised the dealer didn't tell ya, "That's normal. Ride Safe." 8-)

Old 12-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You guys are funny, some Rams fans I see.
Peddler: Yes, the rear pulley broke. The inside side of it that holds the belt in alignment broke off the pulley. Yes the pulley is part of the IDS system but its the pulley that broke.
Dealer already replaced the pulley and says its ready to pick up. He also said they have never seen this before(never heard that one) and it was probably just a defective pulley. He didn't have to order a pulley because he just took one out of a IDS kit.
I will be checking alignment closley when I pick it up but I don't know of an adjustment if its out of alighment. I will double check my service manual.

Thanks,
Doug

Quick Reply: Rear pulley broke, 08 RG!!