Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear speakers on a classic

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 09:23 AM
mtbag
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear speakers on a classic

I'm thinkin of putting rear speakers on my classic, any thoughts or advice on this. (My wifealways wants it louder)
Is HD the only place you can get the pods and speakers ?

Thanks
Mike

Old 12-19-2007, 09:30 AM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Rear speakers on a classic

I see them on ebay all the time and a lot cheaper than the dealer. I would find a ultra with them and try getting on the bike, the rear speakers are in a crappy place and make getting on the bike a whole different process.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:49 AM
scubabob
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the HD speakers on mine. It gets rather pricey because not only do you need the speakers, you have to buy the wiring harness as well. But if you are going to add any of the other gizmos like the XM receiver, Cell phone adapter, Intercom or CB, then you have to have the harness anyway. The rear speakers are a PITA when you get on and off the bike, but I'm not sure where else you would mount them that would be a lot better. The HD speakers also integrate the controls that let your passenger change the station - not such a good idea always. Of course they do look the best....

Old 12-19-2007, 09:53 AM
mtbag
Intermediate

I was able to ride one of the 08 ultras, they seemed farily ok to me, my wife didn't say anything about difficulty gettin on, but then agian she was overjoyedhappy having her own speakers. I'm open to any sugestions

Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 AM
mtbag
Intermediate

I'm not planning on anything except speakers. Can anyone tell me at what point they are currently wired to, and where to find the conection in the current wire harness ?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 AM
RonH
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out the HogTunes set up. Rear speakers, pods, amp and harness.

http://www.hogtunes.com/

Old 12-19-2007, 10:24 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Mt: Dragonfllyconcepts and Eglide Goodies sell speaker pods--their's seem to be identical and use 6.50" speakers. Hogtunes sells their own pods for 5.25" speakers--call Pez at Hogtunes and he'll fix you up. None of the pods has the holes/switches for the rear passenger controls found on the HD pods. Also, for much more money, HD sells pods that don't have the switches/contols also.

As for wiring, the right way to do it is to buy or fab the Ultra radio plug that goes into the second (and on a Classic, unused) connector on the back of the headunit since that's where the rear speaker outputs are; they are not in the Base Audio Connector already on your bike. Alternatively, you could simply splice the rear speaker leads to the front speaker leads, but you wouldn't have fade control.

I suggest you call Pez at Hog-tunes and talk with him about what you want to do; he's very, very helpful. As for the wiring issues, your best bet is to spend the 40 or so bucks for the HD 2007 Touring models service manual; it has great wiring diagrams for a project like you are considering.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:27 AM
artc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just did the Hogtunes kit. It is the way to go!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hogtunes ultra system comes with 2 speakers, 2 pods, amp, and wiring harness. Install was not a big deal. I did remove the fuel tank but it can be done by just lifting it up which saves the mess of removing the crossover hose (PITA).
Steve L.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/7ED1E48871EA48C380487593FCA98F6F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/0172912A94FB450384CAA1B15AE8C075.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14366/51842CA403144E4DBC945EA21BA69225.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-19-2007, 11:49 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I did the dragonfly--works well--the wait to get them was the biggest problem
ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Mt: Dragonfllyconcepts and Eglide Goodies sell speaker pods--their's seem to be identical and use 6.50" speakers. Hogtunes sells their own pods for 5.25" speakers--call Pez at Hogtunes and he'll fix you up. None of the pods has the holes/switches for the rear passenger controls found on the HD pods. Also, for much more money, HD sells pods that don't have the switches/contols also.

As for wiring, the right way to do it is to buy or fab the Ultra radio plug that goes into the second (and on a Classic, unused) connector on the back of the headunit since that's where the rear speaker outputs are; they are not in the Base Audio Connector already on your bike. Alternatively, you could simply splice the rear speaker leads to the front speaker leads, but you wouldn't have fade control.

I suggest you call Pez at Hog-tunes and talk with him about what you want to do; he's very, very helpful. As for the wiring issues, your best bet is to spend the 40 or so bucks for the HD 2007 Touring models service manual; it has great wiring diagrams for a project like you are considering.

Quick Reply: Rear speakers on a classic