Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:38 AM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS

GPS seems like a nifty touring feature. I certainly like the thought of having it added to the existing equipment on the bike. But geez wiz Wally!!! What makes HD's software flash three times the price of other units? Features????

Old 12-16-2007, 08:39 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts
Default RE: GPS

hehe.. HD....

save yourself some grief and a whole lotta money.. garmin Zumo 550....

Only way to go!

Old 12-16-2007, 08:46 AM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 550 is costly. Played with my friends on a hunting trip to Eagle Lake Maine, the recalculations are a joke!Only used bluetooth once or twice and it worked great, but who will be using a cell phone while on a scoot? It failed to include such basic functions as altitude and a compass that functions while the unit is navigating to a waypoint. It also fails to provide a heading indicator or any reference of direction on the route page. You can toggle to the trip information page and get a basic heading readout (N,S,W,E) but not a true compass heading.

Yes all the attachments are great, but close to $1,000.00 for a product that lackscapability then mostbasic models. It also requires a $250+ antenna to receive XM radio.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:47 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: twedlake

hehe.. HD....

save yourself some grief and a whole lotta money.. garmin Zumo 550....

Only way to go!
Ditto. The zumo 550 is the best item I ever bought for a bike.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with a stand alone unit and save some major dollars. Plus, you can use it in other vehicles.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:22 AM
killerbob
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The HD Unit sucks ... it will not show any maps and will only give you directions. On longer routes you willl have to plan ahead as the unit itself doesn't have memory to hold the information - so after you have planned your route you will have to feed the radio with gps cd's before you go... If you on your route decide to go on a sligthly different route than originally planned you will have to feed CD's again... All if you are talking about the ad-on to the Harmon Kardon radio..

I vote for Zümo 550 as well . Great little device - and with a connector from Kenney (www.cellset.com) you can take calls from your bluetooth telephone through you HD headset - and get instructions from the GPS as well

Old 12-16-2007, 09:38 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

HD over priced, the Zumo 550 is easy to figure out and CAN be found for way under a $1000, you just need to shop.

The Zumo 450 might be a better solution if you dont want bluetooth and xm.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:42 AM
JGroves
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Zumo 550 and like it. You can move it between the bike and the cage with a flick of a lever.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:50 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

ok i'm going to harp now too. I've heard a couple of people in different areas, (not here) rant and rave about a compass and altitude on this unit. WTF? I have a compass that works (true) and I have an altimeter that works (how the hell am I supposed to know if it's correct). The heading is something you set in the preferences of the Zumo 550 so the directional indicator WORKS as well. The recalculations.. well they're not perfect but then show me a GPS that is and I'll kiss your a$$.

So there! LOL

PS
i paid $625 for my Zumo 550 brand new sealed with warranty on eBay. yes I opted for the XM piece too (another $200). But what are your true alternatives for GPS units made SPECIFICALLY for bikes? Tom Tom Rider... Gimme a break.. that thing got horrible reviews anywhere you look unless it's some biased website.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:58 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the Zumo 550 is easy to figure out and CAN be found for way under a $1000
Wow, you guys make too much $$$$
I got a garmin 2610 for under $200 and it works great, miss a turn and it will recalculate in seconds. Has all the features I need. I f you have the $$$ then get the zumo 550, it does have a lot to offer but if you want to save some money get a garmin 2610 or 2670
jim

Quick Reply: GPS