Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:43 PM
bsps1111
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GPS

Recently bought the Garmin 2820 after comparing the cost of purchasing all of the individual components available by Harley.Youcould buythe Harley GPS ($849), bluetooth ($499), MP3 ($299), XM($249) OR...the Garmin 2820 ($650)which has all of that and more in ONE easily mounted / unmounted unit via RAM mount, comes with ALL the maps installed, easily connects to the Harley radio through the external input jackon the front of the radio, kit comeswith all you need to usein yourcar as well, comes with mapping software to plan your own routes and waypoints on your PC and download them to thegps ortake a tripanddownload itfrom the unit to your pc to see where you went andsave it or alter it. It is purpose built waterproof and vibration proof. The only thing missing is an internal battery. It MUST be connected to the vehicle or the supplied ac adapter. This has not been a problem for me as I use it in my car, boat, bike, home and have notyet needed to walk around somewhere with it trying to find my way. I had a separately purchased power cord hooked to the fairing acc switch for power on the bike. The bluetooth will connect to several devices at once. It will display the entire phone book in your cell and dial by touching your choice. It will also do this if you have the gps search for anything ( restaurant, hotel, fuel, etc....) as the address and phone info will display and you can choose to have the gps call the place. No....you don't want to do this while riding but sure is quick when you stop. BUT.....the gps also includes a remote (REALLY) and my girlfriend uses it from the passenger seat to do the searching and dialing while listening and talking thru her wireless earpiece which is also hooked to the gps.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:52 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GPS

I know for a fact that my Zumo 550 does have a compass which gives you direction of travel as well as a indicator dial that shows height above sea level. That's how I found out that Austin, Tx is about 600 feet higher than Columbus Ga above sea level. Admittedly, I found the compass and altimeter by accident just playing around with the unit. Can't recall where I found it (online) but the price was below $500. I've had it for about 6 months, I think.

It is waterproof, has a satellite radio reciever, talks to me through my ear phones, tells me the names of streets and when to turn, has a warning bell that sounds to get my attention before she speaks, even shows me on a motocycle travelling up the screen on the main route.

I also have a Garmin 330 (bought it first), but it's not waterprood and just says "turn right in one half mile", the 550 says "turn right in one half mile onto 10th Street". The 330 is a good unit, I just think the 550 is better. These are the only two I've ever owned.

Hack