Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine noise,Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 11:29 PM
mountian man
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise,Need advice

At 16,000 miles I had the valve seals replaced,heads polished.Now the top end is making a lot of noise at 60-70 while cruising,Sounds like valves rattling ,(Is this what you men call pinging?) Anyway very bothersome but dealer says its OK,I've tryed different gasand no help.Is this normal? I've only been riding Harley's about a year and admit I really don't know the true sound.I did'nt notice it till after the valve seal work.I think their jurking me around,Sounds like something they could ajust out.Please help with ideas.Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/43123/DF0141B36BA443FA89FDB152E7EC0FEC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-15-2007, 11:46 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Engine noise,Need advice

Rattles \ PINGS are NOT a normal thing... Did you hear this before the up-grades? If not then why would you hear it now???
HD do have a little valve train noise and your fuel pump also makes a little noise... But a PING is not a good thing...

Old 12-15-2007, 11:59 PM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

HI MM
I had all sorts of rattles,glangs.bangs & ticking on my 2006 EGC and it really bothered me, when I ask the dealer about all the noise he said in was normal and there was no problem.
Well maybe its normal but it isnt right.
I installed a set of adjustable push rods to see if that would quiten it down and it did to a certain point ( not quite as noisy ).
I then installed a set FUEL hydraulic lifters and now I have an motor with very little noise ( new lifters & adjustable pushrods would be my advise to you ). Unless of course the wrench who did your work has already installed them and has adjusted the pushrods incorrectly.

Hoping this helps
GlennsGlide

Old 12-16-2007, 08:28 PM
mountian man
Cruiser

Well I thanks for the advice,I'm going to take it to another close dealer and let him listen to her,No I didn't hear it before the upgrade,I'll Have him check it out good.I not real satisfied with my 1st.answer.Thanks for the help.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:36 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pushrods need to be rechecked - they probably weren't adjusted properly.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:45 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not normal.

Close to the end of the 2 year warranty my bike was making an awful racket somewhat like 'valve float' on some earlier metric bikes I once owned, not unlike bad lifters. It got annoying enough that my dealer finally couldn't ignore it. (or me) They did the valve seals and cleaned up the heads. While they had it all apart they decided the cam chain tensioners were 'done'. They replaced them and all the lifters as well. It runs as good as new now.

CN

Old 12-17-2007, 05:27 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

ok think about it....
The lifters/push rodsSHOULD be in compression all the time if adjusted correctly. There shouldn't be any noise if so! So what else can it be? I have noise that comes and goes pending on the engine temperature, oil temp, riding condition. When we did Rods build Phil brought up something that I found to be interesting. The rocker arms themselves have a lot of play in a sideways motion. Now I have been thinking about this a lot.... Anyways what he did was add shims to the rocker arms to reduce the sideways motion from .014-.015 on one and .011-.014 on the other, to about .004-.005. this did seem to work but I have not really heard Rods bike when it was hot after a long run. I talked to Rod last night and he is having the twist factor now and I need to show him how to make adjustments on the DTT for it (power=Twist factor; using to much throttle). I will listen and see if it did improve the noise I have and if so I will be taking mine apart to perform the same adjustment. I'll let all know my findings.

of course on your build you still need to make sure that it is not pinging from poor tuning.... lack of fuel and or timing..