Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New S.E. Touring mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:31 PM
Fisherman 77
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S.E. Touring mufflers

Does anyone else have the "NEW" and "LOUDER" H.D. S.E. touring mufflers on their Touring model. if so how do you like the new sound compared to last years quiet pipes? Also, how do you make them even louder? Remove the fiberglass perhaps? If so, how do you do that?

Old 12-15-2007, 10:25 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
Default RE: New S.E. Touring mufflers

Where have you seen them advertised as "louder?" They have a lower tone, but are still50 state street legal on '07 models and 49 state street legal on '08 models, which means EPA "quiet."

The part number is the same for '07 and '08 64985-07A

Old 12-15-2007, 11:30 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Fisherman 77

Does anyone else have the "NEW" and "LOUDER" H.D. S.E. touring mufflers on their Touring model. if so how do you like the new sound compared to last years quiet pipes? Also, how do you make them even louder? Remove the fiberglass perhaps? If so, how do you do that?

Sorry...as was indicated in the previous post...aint no way the MOCO is makin anything but street legal stuff as far as pipes go at this point.

Old 12-16-2007, 03:41 AM
hogbag07
Road Captain

I have the SE touring mufflers 80506-07 they have the removable baffels. Never tried to take them out as these are loud enough.When I put the true duels on they mightget louder. I will wait to then before looking inside these

Old 12-16-2007, 04:37 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

They open up as the miles pile on. When I first got mine you couldn't hear then below 3000, now after 6000 miles they have a much more pleasing rumble. Still not as loud as the SE II's on my 02, but better than stock and they don't interfere with the tunes.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:26 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

Where have you seen them advertised as "louder?"

The part number is the same for '07 and '08 64985-07A
They're not advertised as louder. The Harley description states "We re-tuned these mufflers to provide an exhaust note with some muscle, maintained the awesome performance, and kept flexible end cap style." This "could" translate into them being slightly louder, but I haven't a set of the retuned ones to know. I do know that the first versions of these mufflers are well within the EPA requirements, so H-D does have some wiggle room in the decibel department. Whether they took advantage of this, only time will tell. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has a set of these retuned mufflers to get their firsthand impressions.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Fisherman 77
Intermediate

When I said they are louder what I meant was they have a deeper tone that does appear somewhat louder. They definately do sound better than last years. (I bought a pair and returned them.) I'm glad to hear that they open up after some miles. Glad I can put some fishtails on my H.D. without going through the expense on a Power Commander/Dyno etc... I'm just looking for a little more volume and I'll be good to go.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:47 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer

I bought the 64985-07A SEtouring mufflers and they arelouder than my stock mufflers. I'm not sure what the previous SE mufflers sounded like to compare it to the 07A ones. These are louderand deeper at idle and especially louder than stockwhen you get on the throttle too. The mufflers are no way as loud as aftermarket ones. If your looking for much louder than stock, then buy something else. I was wanting something louder than stock, but not obnoxiouly loud to cause a headache on longer rides. I also like the look of these 4 inch canson my bike. I've read from others that the packing will settle over time as nidan wrote here.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:35 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I appreciate your comments, Hogwallop. I bought a set of these for my yet-to-arrive '08 FLHT (they're sitting in the garage right now) because I wanted something quieter than what I had on my '07 Fat Boy and because I really like the look of Harley's fishtail end caps which I also bought. A little louder than stock is all I'm looking for this time around.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:52 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Just slightly louder than stock and you will not notice running 70 mph, very tame.

They might get louder in time.

They also have a spcial security screw holding the baffle in. You can buy this tool at places like Northern.

Quick Reply: New S.E. Touring mufflers