Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearview Sheild Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:53 PM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clearview Sheild Question

I am looking at buying a new clearview sheild and would like input on size. I am 5'9' and if seat matters am on a sundowner. Which height works for those of you that are around my height. I am undecided between the 4.5 and the 6.5. I would prefer to stay as low profile as I can. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:55 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default RE: Clearview Sheild Question

Like to see what is advised... I am in the same boat, I would want the darkest one avaiable.

Old 12-15-2007, 12:58 PM
gene01
Road Captain

I am not a lot taller than you 2" taller, I use the 9" and it is perfect, I have about 2-3" above the shield for my field of view....I use the recurve and the darker smoke color...

Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 PM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain

There is a light smoke, dark smoke, and black. I want the dark smoke. I am looking for input on the 4.5" or 6.5" in sheild. I think that 9" is higher than what I am looking for on my SG. If anyone has pics of either the 4.5" or 6.5" mounted I would be curious to see what they looking like as well

Old 12-15-2007, 01:03 PM
Scootr
Road Master

I am 5'11" with a sundowner and have the 8" smoked with recurve and love it. After way to many other shields that I tested it is the perfect on for me. I can see over it and no buffeting at hwy speeds. I would recomend the 6.5 if you can still see over it since your a little shorter than me. Still looks good and offers more wind protection than the 4.5 imo. I had the 6" Harley shield and I still had a lot buffeting on the hwy. The recurve helps a lot with that though. I believe the "dark grey" is darker than the "smoked". I debated a lot over which one I wanted and went with the less dark smoked and like it as I can still see through it in low light. I like to be able to see right in front of the bike as well. .02 take it for what it's worth

Old 12-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to guess. If you give clearview your height and inseam measurements they can "fit" the right shield to you.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to be able to see over the windshield. Not only your height, but the length or your torso and the height of the seat are factors. Get the dimensions of the windshield/fairing setup. They usually include a height from the bottom of the headlight cutout to the top of the windshield. From that you should be able to scope out your sight line.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:11 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm 5'10", and have the 9.5 re curve in smoke. I see over it by about 2 inches or more, and it has a light enuff tint that I can see thru it as well.

It sounds to me, as tho you are more interested in "Looks" than you are wind protection. Having said that, the 4.5 might be what you want. I have a 4 inch smoked screen also, and while it looks good, the wind blast off it catches me right on the forehead. Also, it doesn't do much at all as far as deflecting bugs, etc. You end up eatin most of em.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:11 PM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain

gotcha I am really leaning with the 6.5" I will call clearview and see what they have to say about this. I know that the manufact. is great for this. I also want personal experiences as well. That helps a great deal.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:14 PM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain

The stock street glide sheild is bareable. I am going for the similar look to stock as well as trying to incorparate a bit of function as well. That why I am looking to the guys who have bought shorter sheild and see what their input is. I like the low sheild look especially on the SG. I need just a little less wind in the face for comfort. I don't want to loose all wind either.

Quick Reply: Clearview Sheild Question