Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clearview Sheild Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 08:55 PM
svoracer
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clearview Sheild Question

It is easy to measure what you need. You will need a helper, a piece of tape, and a 24" or so long carpenter's level. Sit on the bike in your usual riding position. Have your helper place the level even with the tip of your nose. Transfer that level line to a spot on your current windshield....use the tape to mark the spot. The spot you marked is the height you will want for the new shield IF you want to see over it and not have it too low to send air over your head. Works every time.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:45 PM
Jsans
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I'm 5'9" and just got my Clearview and it is perfect.

I went with the 6.5" smoked, with recurve. I'm able to look right over the windshield no matter if I'm slouching or not. I did not want the taller 8" version because I didn't want to have to look through the windhield for normal driving, otherwise you would need a clear one. I believe the recurve gives you a virtual 8" coverage. I chose the lighter smoked version because I still like to see the road in front of me clearly, in case of a pothole or obstruction on the road. I am very satisfied with my decision to go with the 6.5"., I wanted to keep the windshield as short as possible to keep the cool look of a short shield, but have the function with it as well (It's not in my pictures yet)
I also believe the wind with the 4.5" inch will nail you right in the forehead, even with the re-curve.

I was told 3-4 weeks, but received it in about 5 days. Total cost with shipping was 100.01.

Hope this helps

Old 12-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: svoracer

It is easy to measure what you need. You will need a helper, a piece of tape, and a 24" or so long carpenter's level. Sit on the bike in your usual riding position. Have your helper place the level even with the tip of your nose. Transfer that level line to a spot on your current windshield....use the tape to mark the spot. The spot you marked is the height you will want for the new shield IF you want to see over it and not have it too low to send air over your head. Works every time.
I measured mine and came up with about a 9 in. + -. I was hoping the recurve might make the 8 in. work for me. I might have to wait till spring so I can try it and send back if I have to.
The 4 and 6 in. look cool but wouldn't give me enough wind protection. Hell, I'm starting to get use to looking through my 12 in., which I thought I never would. It does protect from the elements.