Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 ultra frt suspension shot?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:01 PM
tarheelrdr
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 ultra frt suspension shot?

My Ultra seems to bottom out very easy now, I have a little over 20,000 miles on it. This is on the front end, any suggestions? Change to a heavier fluid or a different kit? Does the fluid go bad and need to be changed? Don't want to spend alot, just would like it to be like it was. Thanks, Tim

Old 12-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Rich B.
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 04 ultra frt suspension shot?

Tim,
Something doesn't sound right. Not to be too forward, but, how much do you weigh? With an 04, unless the forks have been disassembled for chroming, lowering or something similar, (they should still be factory fill) they should not bottom out unless the GVW has been exceeded. Even though the factory springs are considered soft, they should still be able to support the GVW of the motorcycle without bottoming out under normal riding conditions. Here is what I would do, assuming you have the mechanical ability to perform this work. First, drain the existing fork oil and refill with a high quality oil like BelRay suited for motorcycle forks exclusively which meets all the specs recommended by HD. Once this is done test ride the bike to confirm that you still have, or don't have the bottoming problem. If your fork still bottoms, Progressive Suspension makes HD fork springs which are heavier than the stock units and are progressively wound. Talk to the folks at Progressive and explain your situation to them and they will be more than happy to fit you up with a set of fork springs to suite your riding style. Some years ago they helped me out with a custom fork that I had lowered and I recall that they were very helpful. Simply going to a heavier than factory spec fork oil in your bike may or may not also be an option. Keep in mind that a heavier oil will not only slow down the compression stroke of the fork, but it will also slow down the rebound stroke of the fork making the wheel slower to return to its normal extension after compression. This can sometimes cause suspension compacting thus making your ride feel choppy and harsh. Whatever you do...Good luck!

Old 12-14-2007, 07:37 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

Good informinitive and correct responce! Like the heavier oil answer. should not do that. Maybe he oil leaked out through the bolt connecting the dampening rod on one side? seen that happen.

Old 12-14-2007, 07:43 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see you've got that HQ 113" kit.......quit doing wheelie's