Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic vs Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007 | 08:44 AM
Iowabiker
|
Intermediate
Default Classic vs Road Glide

The Road Glide has a frame mount fairing and the Classic has a bat wing fairing on the front fork. Does the Road Glide provide a more stable ride due to the frame mount. I was visiting with the dealer the other day and he suggested the Road Glide would be more stable in the wind. I would like to hear from people that have had both bikes. For a fair comparison it would seem to me that the Road Glide should have a tour pack to make things fairly equal. Appreciate the imput.

Old 12-14-2007 | 08:52 AM
Plunk
Intermediate
Default RE: Classic vs Road Glide

Your dealer is absolutely correct. The Road Glide has a better ride in the wind.

Old 12-14-2007 | 08:54 AM
NICK56
Road Master

I HAVE AN 03 UNLTRA AND AN 07 RG.. THE RG WILL OUTHANDLE THE ULTRA NO ISSUE... THE RG IS A GREAT MCY..THE UG IS ALSO A GREAT MACHINE AND IT WOULD DEPEND (IN MY OPINION) WHAT KINDA OF RIDING YOUR DOING TO DETERMINE WHAT BIKE IS "BETTER".
ON A LONG TRIP IM TAKING THE ULTRA (HEAVIER) AND JUST A BIT MORE COMFORTABLE ON THE HGWY.. BUT BOTH VERY GOOD MACHINES.. THE 96 " AND THE IDS MAKES THE RG A VERY GOOD MCY

Old 12-14-2007 | 08:58 AM
CREEPSHOW
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: NICK56

I HAVE AN 03 UNLTRA AND AN 07 RG.. THE RG WILL OUTHANDLE THE ULTRA NO ISSUE... THE RG IS A GREAT MCY..THE UG IS ALSO A GREAT MACHINE AND IT WOULD DEPEND (IN MY OPINION) WHAT KINDA OF RIDING YOUR DOING TO DETERMINE WHAT BIKE IS "BETTER".
ON A LONG TRIP IM TAKING THE ULTRA (HEAVIER) AND JUST A BIT MORE COMFORTABLE ON THE HGWY.. BUT BOTH VERY GOOD MACHINES.. THE 96 " AND THE IDS MAKES THE RG A VERY GOOD MCY
[sm=yikesomg.gif][sm=outcold.gif]MY EYES HURT!!!!!
Sorry
So, where from Iowa are you??
Bike depends on alot of stuff. Seemspeople switching from like agoldwing like the RG...

Old 12-14-2007 | 09:08 AM
aclass
Road Captain

Did the dealer mention how stinkin ugly the RG is? Dont do it man, +1 on the bat wing.

Old 12-14-2007 | 09:11 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

I've had an EGC and two RG's.... It's a cinch my next Bagger will be RG #3.

Dunno if you're a race fan or not, but it really has to do with aerodynamics... all the downforce on a RG is applied to the chassis / suspension and has zero impact on the handlebar/fork assy. The same is not true on the BatWingers.

If you are considering one or the other, rent one of each and see which is best for YOU.

btw - both of my RG's will wheelie on demand. Must be the fairing! [8D]

Old 12-14-2007 | 09:19 AM
JC650
Road Captain

Ive ridden my inferior E-Glide Classic on many a windy day and found that I was able to handle it sufficiently,maybe even safely.

Old 12-14-2007 | 10:32 AM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior

If your're pretty tall then the Roady might be a better fit, it's a lot more roomy IMHO I would suggest getting lowers whenyou buy the bike, won't make any real difference on the payment, and makes a world of difference on the road and are easy to take off if you decide you want to ride in the summer without them, mine stay on year round, picked up a ultra tour pack for a lot less than harley wanted, made it detachable so it's the best of both worlds!

Old 12-14-2007 | 11:05 AM
dan11809
Tourer

I road tested a road glide and it is a nice bike with a good looks.When the wind came through the canyon it still pushed the road glide to the side and the same happened passing a truck on the freeway,wind is going to push anything in its path and most all harleys are just flat on the side, aerodynamics? come on have you ever seen the wings on the back of that 16 year olds car make it handle any better?so really think about it and road test both to read through the worthless jibber jabber!

Old 12-14-2007 | 11:48 AM
chiabate
Elite HDF Member

Ride 'em both, that's the only way to know. After a couple batwings, I went for the RG. One of the things in my riding is, like many other guys, my wife ain't as little as she used to be. Having the extra weight taken off the handlebars makes screaming "lean forward" on gravel, is history now. Not having heavy jackets or purses in a tourpak? Priceless.

Quick Reply: Classic vs Road Glide