Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To lower or not to lower? Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Chrome Sweet Chrome
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default To lower or not to lower? Opinions?

I am thinking about lowering my 03 Road King Classic. There are rear lowering kits &lowering front spring kits. What are the pro's and cons of doing this? Should I do just the rear or both?
I'd really appreciate input as to do it or not and the upside and downsides of doing it.

Thanks.......

Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 AM
harleybodei
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: To lower or not to lower? Opinions?

Well,
I used a R.U.B. lowering kit that I bought from one of the Forum members and I dropped the back down 1.5".
It rides a little rougher but I like the new stance and the way you hug the ground more.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 AM
2008FLHP
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

you do get a lower center of gravity (did it on my heritage), but be careful around those corners or over bumps...you might scrape it

i'm only going to lower the rear on my RK1" w/ air shocks

Old 12-13-2007, 10:37 AM
KDC56
Intermediate

There is some worthwhile reading here on lowering https://www.hdforums.com/m_278182/tm.htm if you have not read it already.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:54 AM
stimul8ing guy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot give you the science and geometry of lowering a bike but my 2000 RK was lowered and it was terrible at cornering...it just wanted to stand up.. I had to fight to keep it in the curve. Actually my 05 UC is a cornering fool compared to the RK. I talked to my indy and he told me that often if a bike is not lowered properly (whatever that means) it will certainly not corner as well...just my .02

Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 AM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dan Phillips

I am thinking about lowering my 03 Road King Classic. There are rear lowering kits &lowering front spring kits. What are the pro's and cons of doing this? Should I do just the rear or both?
I'd really appreciate input as to do it or not and the upside and downsides of doing it.

Thanks.......
My experience has been that it really depends on what you use your bike for. I had an '03 Heritage Classic that I lowered 1" -- and despite the better overall look, despised how it rode. It was fine when I was solo (about 60% of the time) but pushed the suspension to its limits when riding 2-up -- and with luggage, it was always a concern that I'd bend a rear rim on an unsuspected rough RR crossing or pothole. I traded that for my current UC and, while I've toyed with the idea for looks, my riding habits (still solo 60% of the time) but longer hauls, more packed on the bike, etc... lead me to conclude that I'll take the comfort and full assurance of a suspension to work properly than the more sleek look of a lowered bike.

Just my $.02.... If I had two bikes, then one would definitely be a lowered Heritage, highly modified -- and my UC for the road.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:15 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I found that those lowering kits for the back don't work very well (bike bottoms out to easy) I removed the lowering kit and installed a set of Progressive short airshocks instead, they work great.
I am lowering the front this winter, I have purchased all the parts but haven't done it yet.
I lowered mine soI could get my feet flat on the ground.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:09 PM
I am Jerry
Road Master

You can't use the lowering kitwith the RK Classic bags. You'll have to use lowering shocks. I've lowered mine and yes I scrape every now and then when riding 2 up.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:12 PM
harleybodei
Road Master

ORIGINAL: jag1886

I found that those lowering kits for the back don't work very well (bike bottoms out to easy) I removed the lowering kit and installed a set of Progressive short airshocks instead, they work great.
I am lowering the front this winter, I have purchased all the parts but haven't done it yet.
I lowered mine soI could get my feet flat on the ground.
The beauty about the bolt on lowering kit is that it is easy to install & un-install. I did mine in about 1 hour and about 4 beers.[sm=alcoholic.gif]

Old 12-13-2007, 01:15 PM
rome304
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DECIDED to stay with factory set up scraped footboards a couple of times low enough. good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/22213/1756BFD9C8AD41679BB7AECAB08E6B43.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: To lower or not to lower? Opinions?