Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iTunes MP4 burning to CD's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: iTunes MP4 burning to CD's

ORIGINAL: twilliams

When you burn a DATA CD of purchased songs you get a CD full of mp4's and you are right the HK cannot play them...matter of fact the only thing that can play a "Protected mp4" from Apple is either iTunes or an ipod.

My solution is very different. What you want to do is burn a standard audio CD from itunes, you will only get between 10~15 songs on there depending on the length. This CD should be able to be played in any standard cd player including the HK. But there is another step. You will then take that audio cd and put into your computer and re-import it, make sure in the itunes prefs that your import is set for mp3. This will import those songs back into itunes as mp3 (you will then have two, the protected mp4 and mp3 in itunes) I personally deleted the mp4's once I did this. If you have a bunch of purchased music this will take a bunch of cd's and lot of time. You can probably do it with a CD-RW and reuse it.

Does this make sense?
Well said-yes....import preferences set to import as MP3 is the key

------- You can always find a teenager to show ya-you'd be surprised how much they know about messing around with MP3 players

Old 12-12-2007, 07:17 PM
twilliams
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I make my living supporting Apple computers and I don't buy music from itunes anymore for this reason. I would much rather go buy the CD and import it myself and you are right about the convenience of burning MP3 disk and playing them on the HK. Much cleaner than an ipod install and you can see the track titles on the the display and control them from the handlebars controls.

ORIGINAL: Slash

ORIGINAL: twilliams

When you burn a DATA CD of purchased songs you get a CD full of mp4's and you are right the HK cannot play them...matter of fact the only thing that can play a "Protected mp4" from Apple is either iTunes or an ipod.

My solution is very different. What you want to do is burn a standard audio CD from itunes, you will only get between 10~15 songs on there depending on the length. This CD should be able to be played in any standard cd player including the HK. But there is another step. You will then take that audio cd and put into your computer and re-import it, make sure in the itunes prefs that your import is set for mp3. This will import those songs back into itunes as mp3 (you will then have two, the protected mp4 and mp3 in itunes) I personally deleted the mp4's once I did this. If you have a bunch of purchased music this will take a bunch of cd's and lot of time. You can probably do it with a CD-RW and reuse it.

Does this make sense?
Well said-yes....import preferences set to import as MP3 is the key

------- You can always find a teenager to show ya-you'd be surprised how much they know about messing around with MP3 players

Old 12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
harley51
Intermediate

twilliams - Thanks for the guidance.

I did burn a CD with nine audio files and then importedthem back to iTunes in the MP3 format. Afterwards, I burned another CD usingthe MP3 format.

I was initially excited as the H/K did recognize and play the songs along with displaying the song titles. My excitement was short-lived as the songs were incomplete. In other words, the song started playing and then would jump forward.

Anyway, I'm out of CD's for this evening. I will try this again from the beginning tomorrow.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:28 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,352 Likes on 2,532 Posts

i know this isn't exactly what you were asking about, but a great program to use for ripping your own mp3s from cds is 'exact audio copy', and its free. there are a couple of tutorials on the web on how to configure it for getting a virtually exact copy of the tune except in mp3 format vs raw. yes, they are bigger in file size than your standard mp3, but the quality is excellent.

now granted, on the bike, you're not going to be as concerned about the quality, so you can set your configuration settings lower.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Bluerose

I just changed computers and had to deal with iTunes....I now have 2 computers logged out of 5 because I couldn't unassociate my last computer with thier store. Thier response? Tough $h1t! So I told them I was deleteing all of my purchased music (luckily only about $ 20 worth) and they can delete my account(s). I would rather pay $10 -15 for a CD an burn it even if I only want one song then spend 99 cents on music that is forever related to an account with iTunes. I don't pirate music and don't need a baby sitter.

Start buying your songs from other sources then loading them to your iTunes...it's less of a headache.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 AM
NEW2BAG
Cruiser

Maybe I am lucky, but I simply put the songs I wanted into a dedicated playlist and burnt that playlist to a CD. It was a mix of purchased (from Itunes) and from my CD collection. The CD plays fine on my 08 SG.

My MP3 player on my GPS was another story. It does not support MP4 format. I googled "Convert MP4 to MP3" and found a software package you can use to convert. It has a demo version you can download and use for 14 days. It is a cheap program about $20.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I've tried to do with with the podcasts and haven't had too much luck yet. That's about the only thing I can't play from my bike (or connect the iPod to the bike, since it's a hard drive model).

Old 12-13-2007, 02:18 AM
Blacklion213
Cruiser

Another quirk I found is when you are ready to burn MP3s to CD, burn them at a slow speed. For whatever rerason it does away with recognition and music distortion problems.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25017/04C6F17DB0DF4495BF6DB03FFE17F4D3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25017/94157E2E19484C7382173A9238B1FAE5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-13-2007, 03:07 AM
reeac
Tourer

What he said.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another workaround the security is to burn your mp4's to a regular music CD with itunes, then use any of a number of free ripping programs (I use Audiograbber) to convert the songs on your music CD to mp3 files. Then you can record the mp3s as data files to a CD. It's time consuming but it gets the job done. I also recommend using rewritable CDs for the conversion step since you will only use the disk once.

Quick Reply: iTunes MP4 burning to CD's