Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide / Wind Buffing ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 05:22 AM
UPSGUY
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Street Glide / Wind Buffing ?

I had a SG back in 06 and i didnt keep it long for a few reasons and the biggest one was at speed (60+) i got a lot of head buffing, I do wear a full face helmet in the winter and that is when i bought the bike and i never got to ride it with a half helmet to see the difference. I want another SG but i dont want the headache i got from the wind buffing. A taller wind screen is not the answer as i think it takes away from the look of the SG. So what im asking is do anyof you get head buffing with a half helmet?

Old 12-12-2007, 06:34 AM
SGLarry
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Street Glide / Wind Buffing ?

With a half helmet (which is what I wear,) a taller shield is pretty much the only answer. Clearview or Fastaire make 8" shields that look good and don't take much away from SG looks. With the "recurve" design the block they wind more like a 10" shield. I'm 6' tall and I've got the Clearview 8" light smoke.....no buffetting.

[IMG]local://upfiles/14102/7DAE0D906BD44EB0BBA30828AB06DA6B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14102/FE962928A54D47DBBA78F9E330588300.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/14102/B00E9ABF99D44FECB8F77212703A0CF1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Cyphilis
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first thing I noticed with my Ultra was the wind buffeting at highway speeds. That was until I put the lower fairingsback on, and that solved the problem 100%. So you might look into those, should be a direct bolt up for a SG.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:58 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also sold on the 8" re-curve windshield. I have three shields for my Street Glide right now.....the stock 4" good for mid summer local riding....aftermarket no name 7" gets rid of about 95% of the buffeting, good for the Spring and Fall highway rides....and the best one is the Clearview 8" Re-Curve 99.9% of all the wind buffeting is gone....looks awesome....works well for the highway or city.
I will also be adding a new HD Badlander seat, and that will lower the sitting position down a few more inches, and that will also help remove the wind even more. I would also like to try the adjustable wind deflectors that mount on the sides of the Bat-Wing, and could be used to direct the wind more to you for hot days, and to block the wind when it gets a bit colder. I am just not totally sold on how they look yet. I need to see one in person mounted on a SG before I buy them. Between those three things....and a set of matching lowers to boot, I think you could eliminate most if not all of the annoying wind.....you will never get rid of it all....it aint a cage.

I wouldn't let a fixable problem like the buffeting caused by the wind hitting the top of my head keep me from buying a SG.....not when there are so many easy cheep fixes out there.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:01 AM
nidan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Clearview 6.5" recurve and it significantly reduced the buffeting. I thought about going taller this winter, but I've ridden down to 40 so far and it is working fine.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:12 AM
tom73
Tourer

Depending how tall you are will determine what height windshield. For me adding a windshield that is less than 1 inch taller ender up making my SG much nicer to ride with greatly reduced buffering. Depends how tall you are. I am 5'10" and it works perfect for me.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:17 AM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Added an ebay $35 8" shield to mine, and it got rid of that buffeting. Almost tempted to get a 10" clear one for the cold months.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:19 AM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clearview Recurve and a Between the fork Baffle. Fixed it!

Old 12-12-2007, 08:35 AM
stglideblk
Cruiser

I ride about 16000 miles a year a havent really noticed. Maybe it is fitment of your helmet. Or just put on some Skynyrd or 38 Special and sing you *** off.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:59 AM
floridian46
Tourer

i too wear a ff helmet and i had wind buffeting from hell coming off my flht batwing... 4 windshields, some bafflesand 2 helmets later, i converted it to a roadking and im happy..i removed my helmet and most of the problem disapeared.... during my career as a state trooper, i saw too many bikers minus their face and i wont ride without a ff helmet so the conversion was my only choice.. but everyone has their opinion..

Quick Reply: Street Glide / Wind Buffing ?