Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin Eagle Race Tuner - No Cables

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 09:28 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Screamin Eagle Race Tuner - No Cables

What exactly are the cables used for.....to make more adjustments, or to use as a interface to your lap top to graph performance....or both...or neither? I will be buying two SERT's in the next few weeks (my local dealer has the SERT, install & Dyno tune all for $500....deal is good until 2/28...gonna put one on my 03 CVO Deuce, and my 08' SG). The service writer already told me there are no cables that come with the SERT.

Old 12-10-2007, 09:41 PM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are two (2) separate cables.

One connects the PC to the SERT "Dongle", which is the "interface" from your PC to the SERT.

The other cable connects on the other side of the "Dongle" which then runs to the bike.

With the SERT, you can modify performance indicators as well as "record" 30 minutes of data to be used to analyze performance.

I hope this helps.

Ray

Old 12-10-2007, 11:13 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

I'm also waiting on T-Max to come out with the upgraded version that will work with the new08 FBW. Just plug & play & let it do it's thing. Don't have to worry about the mechanic getting his OJT with the DYNO on my bike. Going to go with Rinehart true duals & Ness big suckerat the same time.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:02 AM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

DZ,
Just remember it's not totally plug and play.... It does not adjust timing so this is something you might need to perform.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless you are going to do some of your own tuning you really don't need the cables. I had the SERT put on my 08 Ultra and had it dyno tuned. I don't plan to do any tuning myself (don't even own a laptop, so i couldn't anyway). However, if you go on longer trips you want to carry the SERT CD with you just in case you end up in a shop needing some work done, they will need the disk to do anything with your ECM.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 AM
texan321
Road Captain

When I added my SERT - it came without cables - when I asked about it - they said that the cables were not supplied.??????

Old 12-11-2007, 08:54 AM
KustomBaggers.com
Cruiser

The cables are an "Oh by the way" part as we call it. As crappy as that may be it's a fact. Unless you know the tuner and the software prettywell you don't need them nor should you mess with the program. We have a dyno and we have SERT cables to do the tuning. When we sell a SERT we don't sell the customer the cables because they don't need them. Any tuner should already have the cables already. If your tuner or dyno guytells you that you need to order the cables I'd ask him why you need to buy him tools to do his job.

Honestly nothing can frustrate a technician more than a customer that likes to fiddle with things, messsomething upand them come back saying can you fix this. As a service shop it is in our best interests to not give the customer the ability to change fuel maps and such. With that being said, it's not to get more money out of the customer in the long run, it's to save the customer money and save the technician time in the long run. A good tuner/technician will fix his mistakes at no charge.

Simply put if you don't run a dyno you shouldn't need to the cables, leave it to your dyno guy.

Just my buck of five.

Peace
Joe

Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep HD did it again.
Sell the cable separate and they make more money.
Mine were separate in 06 book show's them separate

Old 12-11-2007, 02:29 PM
texan321
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: KustomBaggers.com

The cables are an "Oh by the way" part as we call it. As crappy as that may be it's a fact. Unless you know the tuner and the software prettywell you don't need them nor should you mess with the program. We have a dyno and we have SERT cables to do the tuning. When we sell a SERT we don't sell the customer the cables because they don't need them. Any tuner should already have the cables already. If your tuner or dyno guytells you that you need to order the cables I'd ask him why you need to buy him tools to do his job.

Honestly nothing can frustrate a technician more than a customer that likes to fiddle with things, messsomething upand them come back saying can you fix this. As a service shop it is in our best interests to not give the customer the ability to change fuel maps and such. With that being said, it's not to get more money out of the customer in the long run, it's to save the customer money and save the technician time in the long run. A good tuner/technician will fix his mistakes at no charge.

Simply put if you don't run a dyno you shouldn't need to the cables, leave it to your dyno guy.

Just my buck of five.

Peace
Joe
Ok I would agree with what you have said but in the previous post - the question was - what if you are on the road and something happens and all you have is the SERT? Then are you limited to just getting the work done at the harley dealer?

Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 PM
KustomBaggers.com
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: texan321

ORIGINAL: KustomBaggers.com

Just my buck of five.

Peace
Joe
Ok I would agree with what you have said but in the previous post - the question was - what if you are on the road and something happens and all you have is the SERT? Then are you limited to just getting the work done at the harley dealer?
No, I'd say you are limited to getting work done by a shop (HD or otherwise)who has a tech knowledgeable of the SERT. That would be the bigger issue than finding cables, provided you have your SERT.

I'm certainly not trying to start any arguement my point was only this, any shop you go into that can tune a SERT should already have the cables to hook you up.

I have a customer in the Chicago area that I was trying to help through a issue over the phone and he was working with his local dealer. I shipped him a newECM and SERT. When he went in to have the ECM checked at the dealer they asked for his cables. The tech told him the cables come with the SERT. The HD dealer didn't even know it was a differnt part number, I had to educate them. But why they wouldn't havetheir ownI don't know.Luckily for me my customers problem was from a different issue and didn't need a SERT technician. However that would all be a red flag to me that theywere not prepaired to service a SERT because they don't have the cables or atech who regularly services them. Not exactly the type of thing to instill trust. But I'm not a HD dealer, maybe that's just policy.

So back to the point that a knowledgable shop or technician is paramount.

But I guess to air on the side of caution you wouldneed to purchase the cables andcarrythem too.

Joe

Quick Reply: Screamin Eagle Race Tuner - No Cables